Decided to buy my first home

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
MMI

Decided to buy my first home

Post by MMI » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am

Tired of apartment living, I've decided to buy my first mobile home. I'm trying to learn all I can before I even start looking, and have some questions.

1. What routine maintenance do mobile homes need? About how often do they need it? And is it terribly expensive?

2. According to some research I've done, construction of mobile homes has improved drastically in the past decade or so. Does that mean homes more than 10 years old should be avoided?

3. Evidently more homes are being built with shingled roofs--does that mean don't consider a model with an older type roof? What would be considerations for an older style roof?

If anyone could answer these questions, or offer any other hints or tips on finding and buying a mobile home, they'd be much appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Re: Decided to buy my first home

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:37 pm

The correct answer to many of your questions depends on how much you intend to spend how good your credit history is, and how much cash you bring to the table.

Everyone would like to purchase a brand new home. The homes our builders are putting out today are incredible. Take a look at our Manufactured Home Finder for a New home dealer nearest to you that offers homes at public wholesale prices. This is the newest 21st century way to buy a new home.

These dealers offer brand new, fully warranted homes delivered to your home site. It is up to you to contract separably for the home's installation. By separating the cost of the home and the installation the dealer only has to worry about selling you the home at the best possible price. Dealers that try to do it all, inevitability have a much higher overhead dedicating resources to being a sub-contractor installing homes.

Every state in the country now has licensing for MH Installers. Installing homes has become a regulated business that includes, in most states, that installers be fully bonded. Only a licensed installer , not a dealer can apply for permits to install your new home. If your dealer is including installation in his price he is simply contracting the job to a licensed installer. You end up picking up the bill for the middleman. If you can contact several contractors yourself and get competitive prices you could be surprised at the savings.

This is the wave of the future for manufactured housing. Today we have Licensed, Bonded , Educated, installers. It is one of the factors that has helped today's new manufactured homes gain wide spread public acceptance. The installer is required to associate their license number with every installation they do. This has forced installers to be winners or looser based on the consequences of the quality of their workmanship. Not based on their affiliation with any particular dealer.

If you want to get into details of specific Builder Brands. See the The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes The first consumer ratings guide to every manufactured home builder ever published.

I drive a 1998 Honda. It is one of the most dependable machines ever designed. I got it new ... Now its an old car but it is still what I need and can afford without payments. Much of the decision to purchase an older home depends on how the home was cared for and what you will have to do to make it what you want.

Construction of all new manufactured homes has improved drastically in the past decade. It also improved drastically in the decade before that. There is no reason that a home older than 10 years old should be avoided. If it

Is in a price range that you can afford.
The home is in condition acceptable to you.
You can afford to purchase it outright.`
It suites your needs.

It might just be right for you.

To find existing homes in your area that are for sale all ages, types and conditions see the web's number one destination for buyers searching for existing manufactured homes

As far as maintenance - Manufactured homes require the same basic maintenance as any framed home. If you would like to learn about the particulars Download The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade - E-Book Edition This book will answer almost every question on manufactured home repair you can think of, along with great methods for upgrading

Metal roofs can be fine on older homes if they have been maintained. I have a few homes that were new in the mid 80's with metal roofs. We have painted those roofs with Kool Seal (or some brand like it) every third year since we bought them. We are in Central Florida and those homes have been through several hairy storms. We have never had any serious problems. Homes around them with shingled roofs did loose some shingles over the years.

If you plan on buying a used home be sure to hire a local house inspector for a full report. They go through the plumbing the waster lines, the vents, the electric. Inspect every window, door, appliance. Give an estimate of the life expectancy for the roof. If there is a well with the property you will get an inspection of all the equipment in that home water system. and so on.

In our area the cost is in the $300 - $400 range including a termite inspection.
It is worth every penny to know exactly what you are buying.

Manufactured homes come in all shapes sizes and ages. You have made a good start by asking questions. Don't stop asking. Read, ask and learn. Purchasing a home is a major life decision. take your time and do your homework so you can make educated decisions.

David Oxhandler
[email protected]