rent control

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
stekow1111

rent control

Post by stekow1111 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm

We plan on buying our first mobil home next year . And I just came across a peice of scary information. It was about rent control or the lack there of in mobil home parks. does anyone know anything about rent control? And how can I find out if a certain park does or does not have it?

Thanks

Jerry

rmurray

Re: rent control

Post by rmurray » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Hard for most of us to answer since very few here live in areas with rent control. In my state the only rent control there is is the free market..If the landlord is foolish customers leave.

If it is important to you you should check with the agency of the government that oversees rent control in New York. Personally I doubt I would want rent control. Since the landlord is forced to accept below market rent, what motivation does he have to maintain and upgrade the property. It sounds like forever deterioration of rental property..

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 am

MH Parks are a unique property type, in as much as the homeowners leases the land under their home. Once the modern manufactured home is installed it is no longer mobile but a permanent fixture. Many state and local laws impose some rent control on MH Parks, that seek to level the playing field between the landlord's property rights and tenant's home owner security.

The aim is to prevent the home owner from unreasonable or arbitrary rent increases that could result in the loss of their home while at the same time offering the landlord a reasonable return on investment.

Here in Florida (the mobile home park capital of the world) all parks with more than 25 units must file an annual prospectus. The park owner may increase the lot rental amount for only those factors disclosed in the prospectus. All increases in lot rents require 90 days' written notice to the affected homeowners.

This notice triggers several homeowner rights and/or obligations, including meeting with the park owner to discuss the reasons for the lot rental increase. Except for pass-through and pass on charges or when a lease is more than 12 months in duration, the rent cannot be increased during the term of the rental agreement. (Example of pass thru charges: increase in city utility charges paid by park owners for homeowners)

The park owner may not make or enforce any rule, regulation, or rental agreement which denies or abridges the right of any home owner to sell his home within the park.

Source: Division Of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, And Mobile Homes

Check with your State's Manufactured Housing Association to find out what the rules are in your state.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Carmellia1

Post by Carmellia1 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 am

As far as I know, if a mobilehome park owner wants to increase the rent charged to an existing resident, the park owner must first obtain approval from the Mobilehome Park Rental Review Board through a public hearing process.Few owners are allowed to increase the space rent once in any twelve month period, by 100% of the CPI(Consumer Price Index).