I have title but not the VIN plate...

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
agnes

I have title but not the VIN plate...

Post by agnes » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 pm

I own a mobile home and would like to sell it. When I went to the TAG place, they asked for pics of a VIN plate additionally to the title certificate. I can't find the plate anywhere. I do however have the Title certificate. What do I do? I am in PA.

David Oxhandler

Re: I have title but not the VIN plate...

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:39 pm

I have never heard of this requirement before. Pennsylvania treats a manufactured homes not attached to real estate as personal property. The state registers and titles them the same way as motor vehicles. I would ask the DMV office why they are requesting documentaiton beyond the title certificate they issued?

Look in the closets and cabinets for the data plates pasted there in the factory. They will include the VIN.

If you cant find them, they might have been removed or painted over. The VIN should be stamped into the front bumper. If you are standing looking at the hitch end you should find it to the right of where the hitch was attached. You may need sandpaper to get past surface rust.

If all else fails check the rear side - the short wall opposite the hitch side - forf a red tag. That is the HUD inspection tag that was fixed in place before the home left the factory.

That red tag will have a number that you can use to get copies of the original data plates from Institute for Building Technology and Safety
David Oxhandler
[email protected]