trusting dealers

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
thingfish

trusting dealers

Post by thingfish » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 am

I'm a cash buyer looking in the Austin, Tx area for a double wide in the 60 to 80 thousand dollar range. Everywhere I look people are posting reveiws about what a piece of crap Clayton Homes are, how Palm Harbour won't fix anything nothing but horror storiesw. Every dealer I talk to wants ALL their money before delivery, not the 10-80-10 that the Grissom Guides suggest. What the hell is a guy suppose to do. All these people I talk to seem worse than used car salesmen. The only ones who haven't bugged me to death was Anthens Park Homes but they seem to be so new with the bigger model that I can't find any reviews. Anybody have a good experience in the central Texas ares?

trmimo

Re: trusting dealers

Post by trmimo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 am

Ask any retailer you consider for references. Names and numbers of customers they have sold homes to that you can talk to. Many Solitaire buyers seem happy with their experience.

thingfish

Post by thingfish » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you, mI have done that and it's good to find a few people who are happy with the homes they've bought. Does anybody know anything Anthens Park Homes? Made in Anthens TX

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:27 pm

My wife and I bought a Southern Energy home from Greg Tilley's in Bossier City, LA about 2 1/2 years ago. We are very pleased with the home and the great response by both the dealer and SE in response to resolving the minor problems we had during the first year. I can highly recommend a Southern Energy home http://www.sehomes.com/divisions-southernenergy.cfm
Make sure you thoroughly check out the dealer as they are crucial in setting up the home and resolving any problems you might have. I didn't pay cash but would be very reluctant to pay any dealer 100% up front. Keep checking for good quality homes and reliable and reputable dealers.
P.S. Because of what happened to my son and his wife I would NOT recommend Palm Harbor.

richard s

Post by richard s » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:42 pm

We live in the central Texas area and had the same problems you are having. I managed a manufactured home park for years so I knew exactly what I wanted. The best advise I can give is know what you are buying. Every home builder has different levels of quality in homes. Learn how manufactured homes are built and the different buiding materials used. Then look for a home with what you want. Salesmen are just that. Salesmen. If your educated on what you want they will back off. As for the money, full payment before the home leaves the lot is standard but with sales as bad as they are if you have the cash you are in the drivers seat. Ask if you can set up an escrow account to prove the funds are there and then try the 10-80-10. Solitare has always had good service. Try the Palm Harbor Factory on Hwy. 183. I found them to be better than the satellite stores.

David Oxhandler

How to find A reputable dealer and negotiate a fair price

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Purchasing a new home is a already a pretty complex, involved process. The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes and Land could save you thousands of dollars. Exhaustively researched, and with extensive input from both industry insiders and consumer advocates, this guide contains much information that retailers, even the good guys, don't want you to know. Whether you are in the market for an affordable first home or a vacation getaway, or a larger residence, or you're thinking about moving to a land-lease community, this guide gives you all the information and tools you will need to successfully find and purchase the home of your dreams.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]