1st Time Buyer

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
dnk0317

1st Time Buyer

Post by dnk0317 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am a 1st time buyer in the mobile home market. We are looking to purchase a mobile home and are interested in one currently which is for sale by owner and are wondering what we need to know? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
DNK

David Oxhandler

Re: 1st Time Buyer

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Welcome to our forums -

A pre-owned home is a very smart move today. The number of foreclosures across the country is staggering. Simple supply and demand has created a wonderful buyers market where you can find almost new homes at a third of the price of new.

There are a number of books you can purchase that will teach you how to shop for a new home or how to get the best price on a pre-owned home. You can find them at www.ManufacturedHousingBookStore.com

The MOST important thing when you are looking at used homes is to be informed on the condition of the home. Not just the stuff you can see, like the carpet or wall finish. Those type things are important but cosmetic. You need to be sure to hire a professional home inspector to work up a full report on the home.

A home inspection is a limited, non-invasive examination of the condition of a home. Skilled professionals inspect key areas of the home prior to purchases in order to mitigate the risk. The home inspector describes the condition of the home at the time of inspection but does not guarantee future condition, efficiency, or life expectancy of systems or components.

Home inspections are usually conducted by a home inspector who has the training and certifications to perform such inspections. The inspector prepares and delivers to the client a written report of findings. The client then uses the knowledge gained to make informed decisions about their pending real estate purchase.

A home inspection is not technically exhaustive and does not imply that every defect will be discovered. The process will include checking the roof, bottom side of the home, heating system, water heater, air-conditioning system, structure, plumbing, electrical, and many other aspects of buildings looking for improper building practices, those items that require extensive repairs, items that are general maintenance issues, as well as some fire and safety issues.

A contract to purchase a home may, at the buyer's request, include a contingency that the contract is not valid until the buyer, through a home inspector or other agents, has had an opportunity to verify the condition of the property.

Ask if ancillary services such as WDI (wood destroying insect -termites), radon testing, septic inspections, water quality, mold & private well inspections are included in your home inspector's services. In states where they are not licensed in these additional areas home inspectors will generally bring in qualified professionals to report for you on those items.

I purchase as many as a dozen homes every year and bring in a home inspector on each and every one. The last home inspection I paid for cost $175 and an additional $75 for the termite clearance. While I'd rather put that money towards spoiling my children, the inspectors services almost always brings some small problem to my attention. This helps me to get the seller to drop his price and permits me the security of knowing exactly what I'm purchasing.

Some verbiage lifted from wikipedia.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Even though you are considering a used home, I highly recommend you get Grissom's Guides and read them twice before shopping for a home. They will give you valuable information in what to look for in a manufactured home. Also, David's advice about getting a home inspection is right on, and it doesn't matter if the home is a manufactured home or a stick built home. If the home you are buying is in a park, make sure you thoroughly check out the park and park owners.

Arlo

Post by Arlo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Hello. Great sight. Thanx in advance for all the valuable tips and insights I'm sure I'll find here. Can you suggest ways to best check out the park owners and management. And how often and by how much should space rents go up. Thank you.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Some states or cities have rent control and rent rates in each park is a matter of public record. The best way to find out if you will like the lifestyle and management in any park is to visit the park and talk to the people that live there.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]