1st time buyer - really need help

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
susan54

1st time buyer - really need help

Post by susan54 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I just posted something in another thread but realize I probably need to start a new subject. I am considering buying my elderly mother a double-wide so she can live near me on my ten acres. I would love for her to move in with me but she insists on having "her own space" and I understand that. I have no idea where to start. Does anyone know of any reputable dealers in the Knoxville, TN or Chattanooga, TN area? Also, is there a way I can make her double-wide a little more stable/safe or a little more "storm-proof". I do appreciate any advice of any kind. Thanks in advance! Susan

David Oxhandler

Re: 1st time buyer - really need help

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:21 am

Welcome to our forums -

A pre-owned home is a very smart move today. The number of foreclosures across the country is staggering. Simple supply and demand has created a wonderful buyers market where you can find almost new homes at a third of the price of new.

There are a number of books you can purchase that will teach you how to shop for a new home or how to get the best price on a pre-owned home. You can find them at www.ManufacturedHousingBookStore.com

The MOST important thing when you are looking at used homes is to be informed on the condition of the home. Not just the stuff you can see, like the carpet or wall finish. Those type things are important but cosmetic. You need to be sure to hire a professional home inspector to work up a full report on the home.

A home inspection is a limited, non-invasive examination of the condition of a home. Skilled professionals inspect key areas of the home prior to purchases in order to mitigate the risk. The home inspector describes the condition of the home at the time of inspection but does not guarantee future condition, efficiency, or life expectancy of systems or components.

Home inspections are usually conducted by a home inspector who has the training and certifications to perform such inspections. The inspector prepares and delivers to the client a written report of findings. The client then uses the knowledge gained to make informed decisions about their pending real estate purchase.

A home inspection is not technically exhaustive and does not imply that every defect will be discovered. The process will include checking the roof, bottom side of the home, heating system, water heater, air-conditioning system, structure, plumbing, electrical, and many other aspects of buildings looking for improper building practices, those items that require extensive repairs, items that are general maintenance issues, as well as some fire and safety issues.

A contract to purchase a home may, at the buyer's request, include a contingency that the contract is not valid until the buyer, through a home inspector or other agents, has had an opportunity to verify the condition of the property.

Ask if ancillary services such as WDI (wood destroying insect -termites), radon testing, septic inspections, water quality, mold & private well inspections are included in your home inspector's services. In states where they are not licensed in these additional areas home inspectors will generally bring in qualified professionals to report for you on those items.

I purchase as many as a dozen homes every year and bring in a home inspector on each and every one. The last home inspection I paid for cost $175 and an additional $75 for the termite clearance. While I'd rather put that money towards spoiling my children, the inspectors services almost always brings some small problem to my attention. This helps me to get the seller to drop his price and permits me the security of knowing exactly what I'm purchasing.

Some verbiage lifted from wikipedia.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

susan54

Re: 1st time buyer - really need help

Post by susan54 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 pm

David,

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely check out the resources you mentioned. Thankfully, I am not in a hurry so I will take the time to research. Thanks again! Susan