prices

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
dantone

prices

Post by dantone » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:27 pm

does anyone know the average mark up on new double wides im in louisiana if the area makes a difference.

Celtlund

Re: prices

Post by Celtlund » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:30 am

If you are in the Shreveport-Bossier area I can recommend a very reputable dealer. We are very happy with t.he home and service we got from them.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:15 am

Celtlund

Please share the dealer's name, location and contact info with us so that people searching our forums in the future know where to start looking for a manufactured home in your area
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:47 pm

Gladly. Greg Tilley's in on Texas Street in Bossier City, LA. Garry Page was our salesman and Mr. Hugh is in charge of their outstanding service department. I highly recommend them. Their web site is http://tilleyshomes.com/ We feel we got a very fair deal and we got outstanding after the sale service on the few minor repairs that were needed.

dantone

Post by dantone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for your respnose., i'm in Baton Rouge and so far have only looked here and Hammond, i may venture to Lafayette. i was hoping also to find a manufacturer that would deal direct with the customoer but so far have not. i'm interested in the sunshine, platinum, and possibly buccaneer brands.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:47 pm

In most states it is imposable for the factory to deal direct to the public. Most states require a MH Dealers license and sales tax account for sales to the public

Builders don't like to go down that path. Dealers will refuse to handle the products of factories that are undercutting the local market leaving the builder with too small a distribution network.

Most of the time if there is no dealer the home buyer can save a few bucks on the purchase but will loose considerably more then they gain when it comes to permits, installation utilities and inspection and after the sale service to the home.

Find a reputable dealer and let them take the responsibility for transporting and installing your home in accordance with the local building regulations.

You might want to learn how to find A reputable dealer and negotiate a fair price by downloading John Grissim's book The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes and Land
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:30 pm

danton - You don't want a dealer to far away as it can present problems with service after the sale. I highly recommend the book that David mentioned above. My wife and I read the book thoroughly before deciding on what home to purchase and what dealer to use. Good luck to you and happy house hunting.

slagenour

Post by slagenour » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Ok....We are first time lookers who have contacted the factory directly. Oak Creek Homes in Fort Worth, Texas. From everything I've been able to find they appear fine. I have been working extensively with one person developing a custom design as I really haven't been able to find anything close to what we require other than one from a La Linda floor plan. I read the message from the people that deliver the different homes and the message from someone else saying that Oak Creek manufactured homes are cheapo, cheapo and not to buy them. It appears that the amount we will be spending will be around $130,000.00 for everything, foundation, delivery, etc. The cost of running the water, elec., gas and, sewer isn't in total. I guess I need some assistance. I have been told some of these companies are not as viable as they once were. $130,000.00 may not seem like a lot to some of you but it is a fortune to us. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm

The price you mention is a ton of money and no one would take it lightly. You have to do your homework... read The Buyers Guide and learn what to look for and what to avoid.

For all of our advances, manufactured homes are still sold much like cars: without land through street dealerships, many of them still focused on selling lower end models to consumers unable to qualify for conventional home loans.

Along the way the industry has attracted more than its share of predatory dealers and finance companies. Well-documented stories abound of high-pressure sales tactics, fraud, deception, and abuses by unscrupulous operators. Just like the site built homes in the past decade tens of thousands of trusting home buyers have been ripped off, many losing their homes, because they got in over their heads with predatory finance or purchase contracts.

Purchasing a new home is a already a pretty complex, involved process, it can also be dangerous. This book is a comprehensive resource guide for consumers that explains just how the manufactured home industry operates, how to find a dealer worthy of your trust, how to make the right home selection, and, as important, how to be informed, empowered, and swindle-proof.

This buyer's guide could save you thousands of dollars.

You can DOWNLOAD THE E-BOOK and be reading it in just a few minutes.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 pm

slagenour, I highly recommend you get and read the books David mentioned above. $130k is a very large amount of money and the price you pay for the books can save you a lot of money and heartache. My wife and I spent an enormous amount of time researching and visiting different dealerships before we decided what to buy and from whom to buy it.
We are a little East of you in the Shrevport-Bossier area of Louisiana. We decided on a Southern Energy home from a local dealer and they will work with you to modify any floor plan they have.