air conditioning

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
dantone

air conditioning

Post by dantone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:46 am

i am wondering of the pro's & cons of having the a/c duct work in the attic as some of the newer mobile homes are doing. I am looking at a Platinum brand mobile home has 9 ft ceilings. and the ac duct work is optional in the floor or ceiling. Does anyone have any experience with ceiling a/c duct work?? Also does anyone have this brand of home and your opinion on it. Thanks.

admin

Re: air conditioning

Post by admin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 pm

I have not had any experience with Platinum Homes but have heard good things about them.

The debate about ducts in the floor or overhead has been going on for some time. Overhead ducts are a lot more convenient as they don't collect dust, pennies and whatever else falls onto the floor. Additionally it is easier to vacuum and eventually replace carpet as you don't have to work around the floor registers.

The only advantage to floor registers is for heating efficancy. Hot air rises and cold air drops. So if you live in a climat that requires a considerable amount of heating you will save on heating by having the heat come out of the floor and rise naturally to fill all the space in the room. If your in a part of the country where cooling is a greater expense than heating you will save by having overhead registers, so the cool air drops to fill the room.
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]