How to tell them your looking only?

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Andrew Valet

How to tell them your looking only?

Post by Andrew Valet » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:03 am

Hello, were just starting to look to upgrade our older home. Have looked in our local area and took a drive to another part of the state, South Carolina. We went by 3 different dealers to get the feeling of off limits for us? How do you tell a lot sales person today were looking only. The first lot I pulled up and felt like a used car lot. Had 2 sales people aproach the car before we shut it off. I got out told the " were looking today and dont want to waste your time or ours. May we see what you have to offer? Basicly the all told me pretty much no without speeking. Anyway anyone have this expierence before? I dont want to make anyone mad but we did drive 100 miles to have a look. Our local dealers always have the houses open or give us keys to look.
Any ideas?
drew

David Oxhandler

Re: How to tell them your looking only?

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:39 am

Sales are sooooooo slow across the country that any appearance must be treated like a potential sale. When I am looking for a car I start by telling the sales guys that I'm NOT buying TODAY under any circumstances, so please dont try to move me that way.... I will be buying in the near future. They will still do the song and dance routine and try every thing they can to get you to buy NOW... but that is their job.

IF YOU CANT BEAT 'EM JOIN EM

If you want a real understanding of the product and who your dealing with let them do their thing and run through their routine, but learn how to use it to your advantage.

Consider each visit a dress rehearsal for the day when you will be ready. Gather the info your seeking.. Take notes. Write down the sales persons names and everything they tell you about the home, price and terms. When you have had enough thank them and move on to break the hearts of the guys at the next sales lot. This will give you starting points and help you to be better prepared for negotiations on the day you are ready to buy.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:06 am

The most professional organizations have a sales process..Remember dealerships are not manufactured home display cases, they are first and foremost SALES organizations. They are not here to show you homes, they are there to SELL you a home. True buyers are after quality information in the shortest time. You have already started the process by ordering the buyers guides here in the book store. All a good salesperson can do is give you true quality information and answer you questions. Those professional sales organizations know the display home cannot think, talk, respond or answer questions. I takes human beings to interact to human beings. Do your self a favor and allow the trained salesperson of these most professional organizations to help you in an organized manner. Most will ask a few questions, talk about their dealership and its features and history (in the dealers with open doors, what have you learned about them) and advise you about he product features they offer. They know that if folks have all the information it is likely they will buy from them. Remember once you get the books you will be the best informed buyer in the market with strong ideas about what will serve your needs and goals. Even then you will be able to consentrate on dealer selection the MOST important part of your quest. Most quality dealers will offer a range of quality features, scores of floor plans and have competitive prices for the product they offer. Give these professional dealerships a chance to explain their sales process and product. Expect to spend some time at every dealer you visit. Buying a home is a tough process.. Good Luck and GO FOR IT.

Gladey

Post by Gladey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Wow! I'm amazed you received such poor service. My husband and I have been looking for a few weeks, and every place we've been has been a little different, but still very friendly and welcoming. Some have all the houses open and prices listed, some require you to sign a guestbook and ask for prices. Some dealers had very high-pressure styles, which tends to send my husband and I running. We told every dealer that we would not be making a purchase until the spring, but everyone was still very informative and nice.
We started a file folder with all of the plans we like and brochures from the different companies. It can be hard to keep everything straight when you've been in so many!

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:51 am

Most buyers start out saying "we are just looking". Very few say "we want to buy a house today". A professional will know how to respect what you are really saying, that you don't want to be pressured into buying. You may have to have a salesperson walk around with you giving his pitch. Let him. It will help you learn not only the things Rmurray has said, but if he has listened to you at all. If they start in with "if you buy today" or "the price is going up in 10 days..." then you will know they haven't listened to you. If they don't respect your wishes now, they won't later in the process, either. Just move on to the next one. There are dealers professional and confident enough to know that it is more effective and rewarding in the long run to assist you in buying a home rather than pressure you into buying one. Luckily, most of the high pressure dealers that use selling systems have gone out of business in the last several years.

Andrew Valet

Post by Andrew Valet » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Thank you everyone. Great advice. We will go out again in a few days. I just dont like wasting sales peoples time or ours. Guess were spoiled here in our home town?
Thanks again. drew