Instant Mobile House

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
britefire

Instant Mobile House

Post by britefire » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:55 pm

We live in southern California
and are considering placing on private land
an 1800' manufactured home from:

Instant Mobile House

www.instantmobilehouse.com

They are not listed in:

The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes

and their 'about' web page is blank.

To my limited knowledge
the features look good.

foundation,
fire-proof siding,
heavy insulation,
dual pane windows, etc.

www.instantmobilehouse.com/imh/frequentlyasked.htm

Has anyone had experience with these people
good or bad?

Bob

David Oxhandler

Re: Instant Mobile House

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 pm

They are not listed n the Grissim Guide because they are NOT manufactured homes as defined under the federal law and are NOT built to the federal HUD code that defines and regulated manufactured housing construction.

The product is built to a standard set for recreational vehicles. This is not necessarily good or bad just different. In most places across the country this type of constructed unit is NOT permitted to be installed as a permanent dwelling on private property. The majority of these are placed in RV Parks and known as "Park Models"

I have never seen this brand but most of the park models I have seen are well built and appointed and have plans that make their small interiors seem much bigger than they are, because of built in furnishings, bay windows and excellent engineering
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:28 pm

They appear to be a retailer for Athens Park Homes and Silvercrest RV.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:28 pm

These small 360 sq foot RV homes would not be allowed in most counties in the US as a dwelling unit..Before you spend much time you should check with YOUR local county building permit office for the rules on your land..This is NOT a manufacturer but is a retail dealers name and web site..The specs listed seem fairly good except most of us would want a little more than R-8 wall, R-8 floor, R-22 roof insulation., and I would want something larger than 6.4 cubic foot refrigerator which is smaller than most large Coleman coolers. I did not see any floor plans at 1800 sq feet.. The largest HUD manufactured home listed is 873 Sq. feet or a 16x60..1800 would have to be a double section home which would have to be a HUD manufactured home...I did NOT see any multi section homes listed at all..

AZRealtor

Post by AZRealtor » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 am

I just sold the first, only, and last park model that we have ever had in our inventory. We had it for almost 2 years and I couldn't have been happier to see it leaving.

The reason we had it so long is: I could not make myself believe that it was a good investment for anyone. The man who bought it is placing it on an RV pad at his son's property, it will work out great for him.

1800 sq.ft. sounds good, but is that a product that is within the companies' area of expertise? I know I didn't have as much knowledge about the park model as someone who regularly sells them.

I would encourage you to seek a reputable dealer near the location where you intend to place the home. If there is not one close by, ask the advice of friends, neighbors, contractors, etc. Continue asking advice from the experts on this forum, you're on the right track here.
Phil

britefire

Post by britefire » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:44 am

Thank you all for your responses and promptness.
This certainly clarifies the actual situtation.

David,
Thank you for the distinction.
They do show one line of homes
which they say are built to HUD standards.
Athens [as noted by trmimo,] says
"new line up of larger HUD Resort Cottages"

trmimo,
Thank you for the leads
[info which I could never have recognized].
I could check with the mfgrs. directly
and find how many have actually been installed
and what experience these people have
in setting their houses.

rmurray
Thanks for taking the time to check their specs.
Your specific info is great as it gives me an idea
what to look for in the home, or upgrade to.
They show no double wides
but on the phone say they can supply them
and offer what seemed like a good price.

I realize, further investigation and comparison is required.

britefire

Post by britefire » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Tks, Phil

I just recently found the Home Finder Service page
on this site.
When I am ready
I will see what they have to offer
and then will be able to compare.

John Grissim

Post by John Grissim » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:02 pm

David Oxhandler and rmurray are correct, instantmobilehouse.com is selling RV park models, not HUd-code (a.k.a. manufactured homes, mobile homes), and that's why they are not listed in The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes.

Park models are technically/legally RV's, built to the ANSI-code, requiring a max. sq. footage of 400 feet, and strict height and width limitations (for highway travel). The interesting thing about them is, they are not designed for towing, but for permanent placement, and they look like mini-homes/cabins. Many models are very good looking and well built, but small. They have a big future, in my view.

Yesterday I called and spoke with instantmobilehouse.com's owner, Mark Anderson. He has three sales locations in the San Diego Area, explaining he got his start a couple of years ago buying repo park models for housing after the Cedar Fire. Business grew from there.

He struck me as on the up and up. He knew the same folks I know at the CEO level. He said he's having his houses built by several factories, including Athens Park Homes, Chariot Eagle, Laurel Creek, Fleetwood, and soon, Silvercrest. He's developed interesting floor plans involving two park models hooked together with a breezeway in between, with the additonal unit being a rec room or office.

Anderson said his park models are legal as second units in California but he is having a very hard time getting local municipalities and building dept's to acknowledge this. He's had to hire lawyers to wave the state law at them. The reason for this reluctance is, RV Park models can not be taxed as improved real estate, which bothers local jurisdictions looking for tax revenue.

I didn't quiz Anderson on his ability to sell and set up HUD code homes, so I recommend researching his dealership with care, as you would with any HUD dealer. Anderson's email is [email protected]

Note: I'm currently researching my next consumer guide, this one about small homes, cabins and cottages. Hence my interest in park models, and my query yesterday to Anderson.

John Grissim, author, The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes & Land, and The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes.