Novladeck or Cresdeck

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Jim Gibson

Novladeck or Cresdeck

Post by Jim Gibson » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:55 pm

I have talked to two seperate dealers here in Phoenix, Az and both said there have been major improvements in the new flooring and that I absolutely do not need OSB or plywood flooring. The first dealer told me he has seen Novladeck tested by putting it in water for 24 hrs will no ill effects. He swears by it. The second dealer I talked to said she had just went to a seminar on the flooring and they were told the new stuff has not problems at all. I told both that the money was not an issue and I was ordering one anyway. both said don't waste your money. With proper set-up (being the key) I'll have no problems. What's up?

David Oxhandler

Re: Novladeck or Cresdeck

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:23 am

Jim -

It sounds like these dealers want to sell you homes they have in their inventory. They are making payments on the homes they display and really don't want to order something different from the factory.

It has been my experience that Novadeck and Cresdeck are highly susceptible to water damage and undesirable in any home. If they were great choices for decking why would the factories offer the upgrades? If these sellers are twisting the truth at this point imagine how you will be treated after the sale. Walk away. Find a dealer that respects your intelligence and is concerned with your satisfaction first. Insist on Plywood or OSB.

jgn

Post by jgn » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:24 am

Pressboard by any name is pressboard and that is what Novadeck and Cresdeck are. They use a water resistant glue that, over time, will break down. They have made great improvements in both products but over the long run you are still better off with plywood or osb. Pressboard is easier for the manufacturer to work with because they can get whatever size they want and it is a nice looking product (smooth and square) but if it is so good why don't site built homes use it?

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:35 am

He lied...pressboard is pressboared..read the novodeck warranty..Void if the floor gets wet..opps of course..this is what causes all the problems....If it is doo wonderrful ask the salespereson why NO strick bvuilder uses this cheaper material......Find more treuthful salespersons...Go back and ask the PH dealer abour upgrades...

Jim Gibson

Post by Jim Gibson » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 am

This was not a PH dealer. This was a dealer that sells Cavco and Fleetwood. I am staying away. Thanks for the responses. I guess I just needed to here it one more time.

hilary

Post by hilary » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:29 pm

great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have novadeck and had a water problem in my utility room, and now i put laminate flooring thru out my house what am i in for later on?hil

Bob

Re: Nova deck or Cresdeck

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:40 am

One of the reasons site built homes are not using the nova deck or cresdeck, and there are others, is that a site built home is not set up in a controlled environment. If money is no object and you feel more comfortable with the plywood option, I would definitely go for it. Down the road you don't want to be saying to yourself," I should have gone with the plywood option". This post should in no way toss your decision one way or another. If you feel the knowledge you gather on this site makes your decision any easier, the professionals on this site have accomplished their goal. I wish I was a MH expert but I'm not. I'm just an extremely happy MH owner, that would take the option again if it presented itself. I did choose the nova deck, but I installed water alarms in all key hidden areas on the wet half of my home. 5 years later no creaks, or water damage.

trishA

Post by trishA » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:22 pm

I absolutely agree; I bought a "model" home and 3 1/2 yrs later- boy do I regret it- makes me never want to buy another MH again!!!! We found a soft spot in the floor- pulled up the carpet and what do we find- looks like particle board!! What are the regulations for floors in building a MH? Now I am in jeopardy of battling the insurance company to replace the floor, the manufacturer has been no help (they suggested I go under the house and "press up the floor w/ supports") I contacted the manufacturer and they replied that I have "Nova Decking". By all means if you are looking to get a MH I insist that you know what your wood boards are- and that the people they contract to set up your home on your site know what they are doing and finish the job right- I am speculating at this point the problem originated w/ the setup - but then again if I had known about my floor in the first place I would not have such a problem!!!! HUD should really better regulate what type of floor boards go into a MH- they seem to regulate just about everything else!!

trisha

Post by trisha » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:27 pm

Please, as a representative of someone who has bought a MH w/in the last 3 1/2 yrs- do not go w/ Nova Decking- it's like putting particle board in- if it gets wet (which in my case happened likely due to the faulty set up crew neglecting to pipe my house correctly) you will regret it and may not know about the problem until it's too late- from experience; soft spots in the floor, mold, mildew and possible subsequest breathing problems ( in my case) and the battle to find a party (insurance company or manufacturer) who is willing ot help you w/ the problem!!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:10 am

Trish -

The good news is that it is very easy to repair the problems of particle board floors. There is a great Floor Repair Info Kit available at the Manufactured Housing Book Store This is NOT a high-dollar video with actors, it is a good-quality video that features a real contractor clearly showing you how to do the job.

You can also find these same, easy, do it yourself methods
in The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade. This Book was compiled from the long time experience of contractor, Mark Bower. For years Mark has been one of the best known hands on men in the manufactured housing industry. Whether it's a major roof replacement or a simple broken window crank, or floor repair this is the book your looking for. Get More Details Here