Top 3 Manufactured Homes/Worst 3 Manufactured Homes

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Randy Eaton

Re: Top 3 Homes and Randall

Post by Randy Eaton » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:44 pm

Hello Gayle,

Thanks for the nice comments. I should send you a finders fee or something. I am glad I was of some help.

Randall Eaton

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:57 am

Randy, you're doing a fine job of moderating this forum yourself. I've learned a lot here and I'm really glad I stumbled on to this site. I feel that I'm much better informed now and can make a much more thought-out decision because of all the information here. I think a lot us (like the earlier poster) get frustrated with all the choices out there. When I first started to consider manufactured housing, I had NO IDEA there were so many manufacturers - I'd heard of Fleetwood and that's about it. It would be SO MUCH easier if there were only five manufacturers and 4 of them were no good! Thanks for all your help!

Nancy Davidson

Post by Nancy Davidson » Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:43 pm

Hi

Is there somebody from the Chicago area who brought a mobile home in a park near Chicago. My husband and I are interested in buying a mobile home in the suburbs of Chicago and would like to know the quality of the parks and the homes that they sell.

Nancy Davidson
Chicago, Illinois

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:55 pm

I think the Chicago suburbs pretty much frowns on mobile homes. They are better received in the downstate areas. Most of the parks I've seen in Chicago area are around so-called tank towns. Also, for quality homes, I would also recommend Patriot and Holly Park.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:09 am

I am completely new to this. Like Mario, I am thinking of building a larger ~4500sq.ft house of highest quality in Northern New England and came upon this string, while trying to find who the best maufacturers are. Randy I saw your book and if I decide to build with a MH, I will buy it. However, I would appreciate if you could point out three of the best maufacturers who meet the following initial criteria;
1) Size - 4-5000 sq.ft.
2)Quality - i.e. solid doors, 2x6 exterior, finishwork, etc.
3) options - Custom design changes( i.e. size of kitchen or master bath or garage.) Change or leave out for custom finishing, Kitchen cabinets, floors, woodwork, etc.

This helps me preliminarily to look at these companys and find out whether a MH home makes any sense.
Thanks for your input.

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:13 am

Hello Kevin,

Most mobile/ manufactured home builders only build up to 3000 sqf. If you want something larger in size you will probably have to consider a modular home.

Randall Eaton

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:40 pm

I do not know where all Homes of Legends are at, but if they are anywhere around you STAY AWAY FROM HOMES OF LEGEND. My husband and I purchased a brand new 2002 28 x 80 Homes Of Legend in May 2002 and have had nothing but problems. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer wants to fix or repair anything. each one of them puts the blame on the other just to keep from having to do anything. Needless to say, the next person they will be hearing from is my attorney filing the lawsuit against the dealer and the manufacturer. No one wants to pay over $50,000.00 for a new home and have one problem after another before they can even get moved completely in. If anyone else has any advice please let me know.

Eric C

Post by Eric C » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:30 am

Hello Kevin....Mr. Eaton is correct about size of average homes. I am new to this site having just purchased n 1875 sq.ft. home in Northern Vermont in July but had previously been reviewing postings for help.
I wanted to tell you that in Vt and Northeast the Fleetwood homes I visited were
crap especially in workmanship (and I've seen this said in other websites). We
were high on a Skyline home (especially workmanship quality) and were about to
sign on the dotted line but Skyline started to nickel and dime us to death, would
not budge on anything we asked and lost the sale.
Luckily, the dealer had recently started showing Pine Grove homes from Pa. and
were priced similarly, had more character and so far we are very pleased with the home and dealer response.
They have a web site that shows all floor plans and a few picts but is worth
contacting them. Good luck...it's a fun adventure your starting.

Beth

Re: Top 3 Manufactured Homes/Worst 3 Manufactured Homes

Post by Beth » Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm

HOMES OF LEGEND maybe bad but Preferred Building Systems is ten times worse. Preferred homes are a Modular / Mobile home style design and are considered manufactured housing until they are set down on a foundation. They transport the completed home over the open road just like a mobile home. The house takes a literal beating in the lifting and re-setting process.

Unraveling all of the hogwash excuses and bald-faced lies becomes your new purpose in life. You have to hire an independent building inspector just to force Preferred Building Systems to fix anything. You have to personally watch Preferred personnel or their sub-contractors complete any repairs because they will still attempt to pull a fast one over on you. We bought our Preferred Building Systems home in 1999 and it was financial and emotional disaster. They have beautiful model homes and cool Internet videos but they hide a very ugly truth. Don’t be fooled like we were.

Thank you for consumer based website and keep up the good work.