Karsten/Solitaire homes

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Raven

Karsten/Solitaire homes

Post by Raven » Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:40 pm

I have been reading a lot of good things about these homes here in this forum. I looked at the websites, and I like what I saw - but these homes look expensive... Does anyone know what the price range on these homes are? I know that like all else, yagetwhuchapayfor, and I can't seem to find a local dealer / manufacturer / retailer for these homes near Austin, Texas. Does anyone have any idea where the closest one to Austin may be? I found one in Amarillo, but I can't get there as soon as I need to. I would really like to walk one of these homes.... Even the smaller floor plans that I looked at were well laid out - I loved the way the space is used. I would consider purchasing a smaller home, even though I wanted more space, but as I said, even the smaller ones are so well laid out that it wouldn't be hard to get used to, and that may be more affordable anyway.

Also - as I said, I have been reading good things about these homes - but I would be interested in the down side to these homes as well - particularly quality issues and customer service issues. Thanks for a really great forum!

Raven

Charlotte

RE: Karsten/Solitaire homes

Post by Charlotte » Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:54 pm

Raven, I will get back with you tomorrow regarding the cost of the Karsten homes, at least one of them the DK or Le1, I have an option sheet with basic cost listed on it.

At least this will give you an idea to work with.

TTY tomorrow.

Charlotte

Raven

Post by Raven » Tue Aug 28, 2001 1:25 am

Ok! Thanks, Charlotte! Any issues that you know of - quality issues, service, warrantee, etc.. ? I would really like to go into this knowing that I am getting the best for the money.

Raven

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Wed Aug 29, 2001 6:04 am

Raven, I am sorry it's taken a little time to get back with you.

First about the quality issues, service, warrantee. Do a "backward" check of the postings of either this forum or the "ask the expert" there is a person, Terry who is very knowlegeable about both the Karsten homes and the Solitaire homes, see what he has to say, I've checked both homes and came away liking the Karsten much better than the Solitaire homes.

Now the cost, I can only tell you what I've found out about the model that I plan to purchase in the future, IF I CAN AFFORD IT, when the time comes.

The DK,or LE1, a three bedroom, two bath, walk inclosets, pantry in kitchen, open living room/dining room area. The base price is $54,690 option total with NO UPGRADES is $55,290. These pricesI find on the option sheet I have that was given to me by a dealer in Colorado Spring, Colo.

Of course there is a long list of upgrades etc, some of them that I would NOT be without.

Hope this helps a little.

Charlotte

Elliott

Post by Elliott » Thu Aug 30, 2001 3:19 pm

My wife and I have been looking at buying a new MH for the last four months, trying to make the right decision. We have visited both plants and came up with our own opinion. The Karsten is by far the more elegant home, even more so if you upgrade (which can get pricey). Karsten does some things that I didn't like though: Particleboard floors (that are water-proofed in wet areas) and 1x6 headers and footers on exterior walls. The ten-year warranty is sure nice and some of their homes come with dormers (this makes the outside and inside of the home look real classy). The solitaire comes with plywood floors, 2x6 top and bottom plates, they brace every light for a ceiling fan, and with an upgrade will put sheathing under any siding. Some things they don't do are brace all of their wall outlets to studs, nor do they let you pick different kinds of carpet (color only and only a few at that). We priced both and the solitaire was $17,000 cheaper, hopefully that will make up for the difference in price. We chose the solitaire, but I would not say that Karsten does not sell an excellent product.

Weila

Re: Karsten/Solitaire homes

Post by Weila » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:36 am

There are lots of sites and platforms where you can inform yourself or, from where you may take some phone numbers to call.