Fuqua Home upgrades??

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Misty

Fuqua Home upgrades??

Post by Misty » Tue Apr 24, 2001 8:46 am

Randy,

From everything that I've read, Fuqua has a very good reputation. I was looking at their website, www.fuquahomes-mo.com, and was wondering what you recommend to still upgrade? They have quite a few things that you list in your book as standard but I'm sure there are other things we could upgrade to improve the quality even more. They list about 30 construction features, some I understand and some I have no idea what it is. They use novadeck flooring--should that be upgraded to plywood? Masonite siding or vinyl?? Perimeter heat duct?? Polybutylene plumbing?? 1/2" sheet rock painted walls--is that the same as taped and textured throughout?? Any extra advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Misty
Kansas City, MO

jackie

RE: Fuqua Home upgrades??

Post by jackie » Sat May 05, 2001 4:50 pm

Hi, we were ready to build a Fuqua, but changed our minds. You don't want a plywood flooring, typical is Cresdeck, which is heaver and doesn't rot like wood.

The one big thing we hear about Fuqua is to be sure to verify their service after purchase. I understand they went through a bankrupcy a few years back, are trying to get back on their feet and in the market. After delivery service is important. And I mean by the dealer not just the factory. Consider that. I think they have 7 years.....that is not all that long, and if, by chance you need service, WHO, WHERE, etc., do you call to get someone to follow through. That is the issue,,,ask those questions.

Painted walls are tape and texture. Some models only have it in the "living" areas, and "wet" areas are extra, i.e., bathrooms, laundry. Otherwise they put in the crummy vinyl wallpaper look board. Rounded corners are extra. Usually everything is an upgrade. That is unless you go to the triple wide. We were looking at the Polaris, and it had some immenities included.

Let me know if there is anything else.
I live in CA.

Randy Eaton

RE: Fuqua Home upgrades??

Post by Randy Eaton » Sun May 06, 2001 10:55 am

Hello Misty,

I don't know what Jackie is talking about bankrupcy I have not heard this. The things I would up-grade would be the floors from 2x6 to 2x8's. The roof from 20lbs to 30llbs or 40lbs. Fuqua uses cresdeck flooring which is fine. I would choose solid wood cabinets and lap sidding. You could alos consider up-grading the flooring but that's more a person opinion. Hope this helps.

Randy Eaton