silvercrest or schult

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
debbie

silvercrest or schult

Post by debbie » Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:19 am

We are in california and looking at two different homes one is the silvercrest manor model M-07 the other is the schult B6455-33. Could you please tell me which one would be a better built home, the one we would have the least amount of problems with down the road, or is there another model that you could recommend?.thank you!

Terry

RE: silvercrest or schult

Post by Terry » Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:31 pm

Debbie, Hello! Let me tell you a little about the two brands. Silvercrest builds some of the finest homes in California and only uses 2x6 exterior walls with 2x3 cheater walls inside. Their standard roof pitch is 3:12 and the width is measured from eves to eaves. Say the home is 14' wide and has a 12" overhang the floor would be 13'. Schult has a 56" roof pitch that's standard and they use one of the finest building materials. Their floor is 13feet 8 inches and has 12" overhangs. So you have more floor space than the Silvercrest. They also use the heavy duty shingles and nice hardboard siding or the James Hardi board siding. Schults has been building quality homes for over 60 years and is one of the well respected manufactured homes in the industry. I don't know which plant you are dealing with. Schults has two plants in the western states. One is located in Buckeye, Arizona and the other is in Hermston, Oregon. Also Schults has a sister company by the name of Marlette Homes which is manufactured in the same factory which is more residential style home. If you want you can contact them at their plant and ask for the Marlette in Buckeye, Arizona at 602-386-4495 and also in Hermston, Oregon at 541-567-5546 you will be surprised with the plant in Oregon. They have some of the best floorplan and a quality built home for the money. Very heavy duty home. Marlette/Schults also use a very heavy duty frame and if you seen their homes that are 80' long, you wouldn't even see the frame bent. Their frames are strait and holds the weight of the home very well. You can compare the three brands and choose which you like. They all use quality material and built just about the same. Also you could also check with the Hallmark Southwest of Loma Linda, California. This company is also a very well respected company that builds very high quality homes with 8' sidewall height and they never rush their homes thru the factory. Good luck.

Randy Eaton

RE: Both are good

Post by Randy Eaton » Sat Feb 03, 2001 3:39 am

Hello Debbie,

Did you find some land? M-07 is very expensive home built right but expensive. I like the way they look inside but outside they seem mobilehomeish to me. I would reccomend going with the Schult home with lap siding 4-12 or better roof pitch. What is the price of the Schult home your looking at?

Randy Eaton

debbie

RE: Both are good

Post by debbie » Sat Feb 03, 2001 4:51 am

We own 30 acres, so land is not a problem!!!! We are not too concerned with price, we just want good quality. The schult home that we are looking at is $99,000 base price, 2418 sq ft. We got some upgrades, shingles, insulation, floor load, heating, water heater, french doors instead of sliding and some other stuff, the total for the house is just under $106,000. One thing that you mention that has turned me off the M-07 is that you said it is mobilehomeish on the outside....we want something that looks more like a home. Have you seen any schult homes like the model we are thinking of?? We are meant to go to the factory and look at a home.
The way we are looking at it now it will have hardi board siding, what is the difference between that and hardboard lap siding (to upgrade would be $5 per perimiter foot, is it worth it?)
Thank you so much for your valuable information, we want to get the best possible home.