Karsten vs. Solitaire homes

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Charlotte

Karsten vs. Solitaire homes

Post by Charlotte » Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:09 pm

How do Karsten homes stack up versus Solitaire homes, I know they are both built in Albuquerque etc, I like the standard option package of the Solitaire homes but have also found a floor plan from Karsten that I could learn to like very easily.

Valued opinions please.

Terry

RE: Karsten vs. Solitaire homes

Post by Terry » Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:16 pm

Charlotte, I live in a Solitaire home and I am satisfied with it. If only I knew that Karsten was in business when I purchased my home I would of gone and purchased a Karsten. My home is a 18x80 Solitaire and I purchased it from Solitaire Homes of Albuquerque a retailer and they were only after my money. It was delivered in March of 1999 and they never came back to relevel the home and patch the cracks on the interior walls. The same thing happened to a friend of mine who purchased a 28x84 Solitaire Home. The same company didn't assemble the homes together right and the marriage walls were misaligned. They had to do the job over again. The company is an independent retailer in Albuquerque and another south of Albuquerque and operates the Farmington office. Yes the home is constructed very nice with grid works in the floors and ceilings and the nice interior brocade finished walls. It's actually manufactured from Dunkun and Waurika, Oklahoma. Yes I call the factory and complained to them but they didn't care at all they said it's an independent retailer and we couldn't do anything about it. So that was my experience with the Albuquerque office. On the other hand Karsten of Albuquerque builds one of the finest manufactured home in the industry. They use real 2x6 exterior wall studs and 2x4 interior walls. Heavy duty flooring and tape and textured walls thru out the home. Solitaire uses only 2x6 sidewalls and 2x6 floor joists and cheater studs 2x2 on the interior walls and 1/2" sheetrock over the studs make's the walls look like a 2x4 walls. Check it out and compare the interior walls with Karsten, would look heavy duty. Look at the chassis on the Karsten Homes when the homes are married together at the site the steel outriggers are bolted together every 4' apart (steel to steel) and 16" o.c. on the roof line. Solitaire only lagbolts the floor joists together (wood to wood) and if seperation occurs this would result in the 2x6 perimeter to crack in half. So their you have it again Karsten has a better chassis and more steel than the solitaire homes and also look at the outriggers on the Karsten they place theirs every 4' apart and remember this holds the floor, sidewalls, and roof and the nice thing about the chassis is it's recessed in the front and back of the home so you could place the home on a perminent foundation. Solitaire doesn't do this at all they have the full chassis. Also look at the windows they use, a better insulated windows and the real steel front and rear doors. Solitaire uses the cheap plastic doors and plastic window casing. Karsten has a better customer service than the Solitaire Homes. Karsten never leaves their customer after the sale they call or write to you to make sure you are satisfied with your new home. They even service your home right away if it's an emergency. Karsten has satisfied customers and the company has a good reputation. This is why they gained so much popularity in the manufactured housing industry because no one could touch their customer service of their homes. They are popular in California, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. My neighbor owns a Karsten and I just couldn't believe how the Katsten people treated them from the planning stage to the delivery of their home. They were treated like a queen and king. Meanwhile I was treated horriably and to this day they never serviced my home. So please make a right decision on your home. Would you deal with one that stands behind their homes or one that just leaves you after the sale.

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:53 pm

Hello Charlotte,

The Solitaire Homes are a good brand but it sounds like you need to pick your retailer carefully. With most companies the retailer is the key to making sure the whole package comes together. Check with the Better Business Bureau at, http://www.bbb.org/ I would also ask for referrals and talk with existing customers.

Randy Eaton

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:03 pm

Randy, sounds like a good suggestion. Choosing my dealers carefully. The dealer in Albuquerque also owns the one in Farmington, N.M.

Terry, also thanks for the pearls of wisdom, they are more valuable than you know.