Alaska retailers?

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Julie

Alaska retailers?

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 07, 2001 2:01 am

Hello,

My husband and I live in Alaska on the Kenai Pen. and are thinking of buying a new manufactured home. Can anyone recommend a retailer to work with? Any specific manufacturers that do well with semi arctic conditions? We are considering a Redman home, through Carey Homes in Anchorage.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Julie

Terry

RE: Alaska retailers?

Post by Terry » Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:23 pm

Julie, I would proudly recommend you the Marlette homes of Hermston, Oregon. This manufacture builds homes for that region and they also have retailers in Alaska. Marlette has been building only quality homes since they began building homes in Marlette, Michigan. This company never built cheap homes and has a very good reputation and only uses the best quality name brand building supplies. You could call them at their plant in Hermston, Oregon. This company I would highly recommend to you for the Alaska region. Good Luck

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:06 pm

Hello Julie,

Thanks for your questions, I know Terry is trying to offer you some sound advice but Marlett builds many different lines of homes. They have entry level homes, middle of the road homes and top of the line homes. Obviously you would want to stick with the top of the line homes with Marlett or Redman. Here is my criteria for a well built manufactured home they are:

2x6 exterior walls 16” on center
Double or triple pane vinyl windows
Energy saving installation packages
2x8 floors… not necessary but recommended
Plywood sheathing if budget allows
Headers above exterior windows and doors
2x6 top and bottom plates on exterior walls
Electrical out-lets secured to wall studs not sheet-rock
Taped & textured through-out, ½” sheet rock or 5/8”
Quality plumbing fixtures with shut off valves at each fixture
Solid wood cabinets, oak, maple or pine
Transverse floor system

In your case the snow load will probably need to be 120lbs just a guess for your area. Talk with others in your area that have purchased manufactured homes, talk with the local building department also they will have some recommendations. Have a great day.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:56 pm

Thank you both for your advise! We appreciate it!

Julie and Harlon