manufacturers

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Ed Sherrard

manufacturers

Post by Ed Sherrard » Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:13 pm

We are researching who we would like to buy a manufactured home from. What is the advantage between a home built to HUD standards and one built to residential code standards? Also, we have so far looked at Palm Harbor and Crestline homes. Is their quality comparable, and what other manufacturers would you recommend? (We are in NC)

Mike Hunt

RE: manufacturers

Post by Mike Hunt » Sat Jan 06, 2001 7:11 pm

howdy buddy!!!

I'll do my best to help you all i can. Residental codes vary from residence to residence, depending on where you live. The place where your home is currently, is your residents. HUD approved homes is approved by HUD. Palm Harbor homes are built to Palm Harbor specifications. Crestline homes are built to Crestline specifications. So yes they are comparable being that they are both built to specifications. The structure of a manufactured home can vary, depending on R-3 codes and faultline interuption zones. Also one other factor to consider is wind variation and direction. To further explain this, if the winds hit your home from the north, you need to know the angle of construction of a manufactured home to adjust angle in its new location. For example, if construction on this home began in the east and the workers work toward the west, the west side of your home should face the wind. North in your case. If you decide on a manufactured home, I think you should consider a multi-directional home. These homes are built by the workers starting on all sides and working toward the middle. Making a stronger structure. The leading manufacturer of these homes are Fubar manufactured homes. Especially, the angelwood series, model # FU-U812. If you need any further assistance, I suggest you find some litature and do some research. Knowledge is half the battle.

Good Day!
Mike Hunt

gary adcock,jr.

Post by gary adcock,jr. » Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:27 am

i am intrerested in buying a park model mobile home.i am looking for a loft model.canterbury or palmaire,beckenridge maybe a couple of years old.i havent had any luck finding anything.can you hook it up?

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:20 pm

Hello Ed,

Many manufacturers built their homes to HUD standards and if you buy a manufactured home built to this standard you will be disappointed. There are a number of manufacturers that exceed HUD standards like Palm Harbor and others. I am not familiar with Crestline homes but this should help: One way to cover up a poorly built home is to hide it behind a lot of fluff. Some retailers professionally decorate their display models, this is impressive but can be misleading. I am not against showing homes with furniture but you need to look past the furniture, decorations and focus on how the home is built. Don’t make the mistake of buying a poorly constructed manufactured home. Choose a well-built manufactured home that has quality brand name products. This will allow you to enjoy your new home for many years without unnecessary repair bills. The biggest frustration for many is spending thousands of dollars for repairs when your home is only 3 or 4 years old. Important features that need to be in every manufactured home:

2x6 exterior walls 16” on center
Double or triple pane vinyl windows
Energy saving installation packages
2x8 floors… not necessary but recommended
Plywood sheathing if budget allows
Headers above exterior windows and doors
2x6 top and bottom plates on exterior walls
Electrical out-lets secured to wall studs not sheet-rock
Taped & textured through-out, ½” sheet rock or 5/8”
Quality plumbing fixtures with shut off valves at each fixture
Solid wood cabinets, oak, maple or pine
Transverse floor system

Today, manufactured homes represent one-third of all new single-family homes sold in this country. Eighteen million Americans live in them yet construction standards are too weak; the Department of Housing and Urban Development hasn't reviewed the rules comprehensively since they were imposed 23 years ago. For example, headers over exterior windows and doors are standard features in site-built homes but in manufactured homes these structural features are not required. A header is a beam of wood that is designed to support the weight of the roof. If a window has no header supporting the weight of the roof the window will sag in time. The window will become difficult to open and may pose as a health hazard during a fire. A quality built manufactured home will also have 2x6 exterior studs, 16” O.C (on center) and double pane vinyl windows. But there are still some manufacturers using 2x4 exterior studs and aluminum windows. If you find yourself in one of these homes, find the nearest exit and run for your lives.

Randy Eaton