Financing

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Michelle

Financing

Post by Michelle » Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:09 pm

I was recently approved to purchase a $78,000.00 Modular home in Colorado putting 10% down. The broker/loan processor called me today to notify me that I was approved for my loan however, he said that the loan is 30 yrs long. According to my calculations at the end of the loan I will have paid $252,000.00 for a Modular home. Does this sound right? I definately am apprehensive about purchasing a home that will never re-sale, if needed for the value that I am agreeing to pay on a loan. Am I doing the math wrong? Can anyone offer any insight?

Julie

RE: Financing

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 07, 2001 1:49 am

Hi Michelle,

Yes your math is probably correct! The reason the total cost is so high is that you would be paying interest on your loan for 30 years. You should ask the loan person about a 20 year loan. Your monthly payments might be a little higher but you would pay less in interest and for a shorter time period.

I am looking at homes in a similar price range and found that a 15 or 20 year loan saves a lot of interest costs, and makes the monthly payments only about $100 or $200 more a month, or maybe less!

Good luck!

Julie

Randy Eaton

RE: Financing

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:34 am

Hello Michelle,

Welcome to the real world of financing. I would take Julie's advice or go with a 30 year mortgage and pay an extra $100 per month it will have the same results

Randy Eaton