floors & town&country & cavalier homes

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
john

floors & town&country & cavalier homes

Post by john » Thu Jan 04, 2001 1:31 pm

Which is the best for flooring. I now live in a 77 model mobile home wich had pressboard wich I had to replace all through the house. NOVADECK seems to be the standard and I was told it is better than plywood. It looks to me to be the same stuff I had to replace. there was three options give novadeck,plywood and I can not remember what the third was but it was the same every where I went. also have you any knowledge on the quality of town&country or cavalier homes?

Randy Eaton

RE: floors & town&country & cavalier h

Post by Randy Eaton » Fri Jan 05, 2001 11:55 am

Hello John,

Consumer Reports recommends using plywood as a sub-floor in a manufactured home, it will not swell like particleboard when exposed to water. I believe plywood is a good choice but I am not against using particleboard if it has been treated with a water-resistant coating. Cresdeck is one product that is being used in the industry successfully. The problems with standard particleboard is, when exposed to water the particleboard will swell causing expensive repair bills. Particleboard that has been treated to resist water is dark brown in color and comes with a warranty. When touring different display models look for exposed sub-floors to determine which product is being used. Standard (yellow) particleboard is a poor choice and should be avoided if possible.

Randy Eaton