quality question from 1st time buyer

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Val

quality question from 1st time buyer

Post by Val » Thu Jan 04, 2001 12:25 pm

I am interested in a Fleetwood home built in Washington. These appear to be better quality than some of those built at other plant. Any thoughts on this? We have also looked at Fuqua, Guerdon, & Nashua's. Does anyone info on the quality of these homes as well?

Terry

RE: quality question from 1st time buyer

Post by Terry » Thu Jan 04, 2001 9:05 pm

Val, Since you are in Washington most of the homes built in that state exceed the Hud code because of the climate and the weather conditions. The homes must withstand many weather elements. The brand you mentioned are good quality built homes especially the Fuqua homes this company never builds cheap homes they have been known to build only fine quality homes and use the finest quality materials in every homes they build. Also let me mention another company to you by the name of Marlette Homes of Hermston, Oregon this company is a very well repected company in the Manufactured Housing industry. Marlette homes is a very well respected company because they never used cheap building materials since they began building homes in Marlette, Michigan. They always kept their name clean and is a very reliable builder. If you ever mentioned the name Marlette to any one who owned a Marlette home they will tell you the workmanship that was put into every one of their homes. I believe they have dealers in Washington. Remember certain regions build homes to different Hud codes and some really exceed the code also and you can see the difference in the homes. Their are 3 Zone to build to Zone 1, 2, and 3 and I am sure Zone 3 is in Washington State. If you want more information on their homes call them at their factory in Hermston, Oregon. Good luck

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Fri Jan 05, 2001 12:02 pm

Hello Val,

Fleetwood’s have a number of series of homes. I would stick with the better-constructed ones with 2x6 exterior walls 2x8 floors and go with a 40lb snow load for a roof. Make sure the home is completely taped and textured with quality plumbing fixtures throughout. Fuqua is a good brand also and I feel they have more of a residential look especially if you get into their upper lines. Guerdon's and Nashua's are o.k. but I would stick with Fuqua or Fleetwood. Hope this helps.

Randy Eaton

Val

Post by Val » Sat Jan 06, 2001 10:20 am

Do all of the manufacturers use 2X4's in their rafters and roof systems? Are these as strong as regular roof on houses? All the rafters and parts of our roofing system are 2X8's on our home. Is today's construction as strong as this & how do you determine the strength of manufactured housing roof strength?

Randy Eaton

RE: Roofs

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:36 pm

Hello Val,

Most manufacturers use 2x2's for roof trusses. But you also need to remember with manufactured homes there is a marriage-line, which the trusses are secured to. In a site built home the roof truss needs to expand the entire width of the home. In a manufactured home the trusses are usually only 13 feet long and tie into a beam of wood, which gives support to the truss. A 2x2 truss on 16" on center will give you a 40-LB snow load. This will hold up to 8 feet of snow. My triple-wide has a 40-LB snow load and I can walk on it all day without any problems. The manufacturer's that use 2x4's for trusses is even better assuming they are on a 24" on center or better. Hope this helps.

Randy Eaton

belen burgos

buying a mobile home in south of CA

Post by belen burgos » Wed May 02, 2001 11:21 pm

I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT HOW TO BUY A MOVILE HOME IN A COMMUNITY PARK. HOW TO FIND A COMMUNITY ON A CITY AN ALL TIPS NECESSARY TO DETERMINE THE BEST DEAL, RULES ON A COMMUNITY PARK ETC.