Protocal

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Shaun C

Protocal

Post by Shaun C » Thu Dec 28, 2000 2:14 pm

Hello,

My husband and I are currently comparing a custom home and a manufactured home. I love Palm Harbor but upon visiting thier lot they attempted to pressure me into completing loan papers without ever seeing a home or leaving the building. He explained that he needed to know were I stood and didn't have alot of time if I couldn't provide proof of real interest then he couldn't help me. I attempted to explain that I have already been approved for a site built home and am curious as to how they compare. Needless to say I ended up with his manager and leaving without every viewing any homes or floor plans (on paper).

This has turned me against Palm Harbor but I really don't want to consider anyone else. Is it necessary to give them access to your financials and credit reports before viewing a home? If so, what is the difference between a lender for a manufactured home and a pre-existing/site-built home? (We have approval from 3 separate lenders). Can we secure a manufactured home and land with the lender of our choice (preferably one of the three we have already chosen). Last question; what is the typical down payment expected for a manufactured home/land purchase?

Randy Eaton

RE: Protocal

Post by Randy Eaton » Thu Dec 28, 2000 11:20 pm

Hello Shaun,

I like Palm Harbor's also but there selling techniques suck. They rely on a selling system that works successfully with people that don't have a high IQ. Unfortunately they piss a lot of people like you off and they go elsewhere. I sold many Palm Harbor customers who just visited their retail center and where totally turned off.

I like the quality they use in their homes and I would suggest you call a retailer or two in your area and ask to speak with the sales manager and explain to him your experience and I am sure you will be helped like a normal person should be. For all of you out there that are considering a Palm Harbor if they try to get you to fill out a credit application before you had a chance to look at a home tell them your not interested and would prefer to look. Most Palm Harbor salespeople with assist you at this point and if not let them know you will visit another Palm Harbor sales center or competitor.

On lenders, it depends on where you live. In Washington State a land/home package has the same interest rates as building a site built home. The normal down payment is 10% to 20% down. Right now I believe you can secure a loan for around 7.75% or 8%. You may also want to look at other manufacturer’s in your area, check out this site at, http://www.hud.gov/fha/sfh/mhs/mfrlst.html This is a list of all manufacturer's in the United States.

Randy Eaton

Steve Miller

Post by Steve Miller » Sat Dec 30, 2000 5:55 pm

Good afternoon/New Year:

I understand your frustration in dealing with the technique of the Palm Harbor stores. I am a 30 year veteran of the M/H industry and I know that the process that you have been exposed to is really to the benefit of the retailer (Palm Harbor). I have owned and operated a Palm Harbor dealership in the past and can tell you first hand that they expect to "control" every aspect of your home purchase. However, there are many homes which are constructed with the same or surperior features, but may not be as well known as their name. Insofar as releasing financial information to them prior to viewing their homes. This is simply a technique used by them to "qualify" your ability to purchase. A seasoned salesperson or home consultant should respect your privacy until such time that they have earned your trust. The only time you should ever give this type of information is at the point of purchase period.

I presently own and operate a home dealership in Georgia and every one of our homes are open for inspection during regular business hours. And I feel sure that your best recourse in this situation would be to locate an "Independent" Palm Harbor sales center where there aren't controlled, mind-numb robots assiting home buyers.

In regard to interest rates: If you are securing a loan for a home and land, the rates are going to be very comparable with the site-built industry, and require as little as 5% down payment in cash/trade or land equity. Any reputable dealer should be willing to assist you in securing the financing that's right for you. If you were locating in Georgia or Alabama I could help you even further. Good luck! You may alos want to take a look at some TRUE modular home builders like R-Anell, Skyline, and Champion for a comparison.

Steve Miller

Shaun C

Post by Shaun C » Wed Jan 03, 2001 8:59 am

Your information is vey helpfule and we will seek out competitors. I will start with another Palm Harbor retail location and observe their customer service techniques. Once again Thank you for being a resource.

Amy King

Post by Amy King » Thu Jan 04, 2001 11:54 pm

Steve,
Please send me any info you can on Palm Harbor homes I live in SC but I haven't seen any P.H. homes yet.
Thanks