Wind Damage

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Wisten

Wind Damage

Post by Wisten » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:12 am

What, if any, conclusive studies have been conducted on wind damage on mobile homes? Links would be great. Modern technology combined with modern apathy indicates that a single or double-wide would be at least as safe as a modern frame house on a concrete slab (said house running around 125,000). The variance comes into play when the dynamics of avaition are considered: Wind provides lift. (Actually "air" provides the lift)

A "tied-down" double-wide with skirting can survive most of the scaps with straight-line winds, and can even nod at a glancing blow from an F0 (F-Zero on the Fujitsu Scale) tornado.

My concern rises in the fact that rapidly moving air has a tendancy to propel material (such as a leaf), by providing force below the material providing uplift. The material in question has a tendancy to flutter about for a bit before "crashing" down. Of course, each and every plane that lands, regardless of size, is performing a "controlled crash".

See my concerns? What precautions can be taken to avoid such calamities?

Randy Eaton

RE: Wind Damage

Post by Randy Eaton » Sat Dec 16, 2000 2:07 am

Hello Wisten,

By pit-setting your Mfg. home you will avoid uplift. A contractor will dig down 24" and pour a concrete pad. Your retailer will deliver the home and block it up about 4 to 6 inches above ground level, just like a site built home. Manufactured homes that have sheet-rock through out and plywood sheathing with 2x6 exterior walls weigh the same as site built homes. My home is pit set with a concrete foundation around it. My home has steel tie-downs and will never blow away. Just like a site built home will never blow away in 70 or 80-mile winds. Hope this helps.

Randy Eaton