Price

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
bhaskar s

Price

Post by bhaskar s » Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:33 pm

Hi

I am planning to buy a manufactured or modular home. I live in Bellevue, Washington State and though I have spent some time on the internet, I am not able to get an idea of the costs involved.

Old manufactured homes in mobile home parks are available around $40,000 to $50,000 around here..

What I am looking for is a ball park figure of how much it would cost or a range for a 1200 + sq ft new modular/manufactured home and do manufacturers or dealers also help with the finding of the location and setting it up in a turnkey package deal?

Another question is a ball park figure for how much it would cost to relocate an existing manufactured\modular home. Say moving costs per 100 miles.

Thanks
Bhaskar

Randy Eaton

RE: Prices on Mfg. homes

Post by Randy Eaton » Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:31 am

Hello Bhaskar,

Thanks for your questions. I live in Washington State also in Moses Lake. New Mfg. homes cost around $40 per sqf. So....1200 sqf. will cost in the neighborhood of $48,000 to $55,000. Many retailers have planned communities where they purchase property and allow only their homes in. In your area that might be difficult to find, mostly residential. If you’re interested in doing a land/home package many retailers will assist you. You may have to find the property and the retailer will help you with contractors and bids. Washington Mutual would be a good source for a loan in your area. To move an existing double wide no more than 100 miles your costs will be $5,500 to $7,500. You may find a nice pre-owned home in a park or repo. If you’re considering a pre-owned Mfg home be sure to check with the local building department. Sometimes there are restrictions or zoning laws that may not allow used manufactured homes in a particular area. The key is to find an experienced retailer who understands the market and has experienced contractors that can help you with site preparation. I hope this helps.

Randy Eaton

Pam

RE: Palm Harbor

Post by Pam » Tue Dec 05, 2000 4:54 am

We recently purchased acreage and after much soul searching concerning stick built vs. manufactured housing, are swaying toward manufactured. We have looked at many and came away so confused especially when reading some of the horror stories of other people who bought certain brands that salesmen taunted as the best. We are looking at Palm Harbor and considering a special order to be placed over a basement. We are in Indiana and the home would be delievered from the Ohio plant......any suggestions, concerns or advice will be appreciated........Pam

Randy Eaton

RE: Palm Harbor Answers

Post by Randy Eaton » Tue Dec 05, 2000 10:38 pm

Hello Pam,

Thanks for your questions, I like Palm Harbors they are a well built home. Placing a manufactured home over a basement can be complicated. I would encourage you to consider a larger Mfg home or a triple-wide. Many times customers think they can double there sqf by placing a Mfg over a basement but after all is said and done the expenses sometime are the same as if you just went with a larger home. If your heart is set on a basement then I would spare no expense in having the most experienced retailer and contractor on my side. I don't want to scare you but there are a number of things that can go wrong so be sure your dealing with someone who has done a number of basements under manufactured homes. Let us know how it turns out.

Randy Eaton

JB

RE: Palm Harbor Answers

Post by JB » Wed Dec 27, 2000 3:00 am

Hi Randy.
I was wondering your impressions of the Skyline homes, they use 2x6 floorjoists but supposedly use more steel in their frames than anyone else to make up the strength difference.
Valley Quality is our first choice for quality but we require more changes to try to use their floor plan space efficiently for what we want. Looking at big floor plan-base price @ $102,000) so it might add too much to the cost after we add options and a/c unit.
How do you like Fleetwood? Opinions seem to vary but they have nice floor plans...
We like their largest anniversary plan (base @$80,000 but will need to add more options than alot of other manufactured homes to get the right configuration- bringing the price up to $96,000+, which includes lap siding and a/c unit.
Skyline is coming out with the same plan in two weeks but the price is not set yet.
Palm Harbor said they would build the Fleetwood floor plan that we like and we should make a bid offer to them to build it for us.They said to make an offer based on our plan choice and options and they would respond. I think it will be about $10,000
more or a little more than that compared to these other company's except Valley Quality which is also priced a bit higher.. I know you had Palm Harbor in your top
three . It seems almost like a regular home purchase with an negotiable price???? Is that common?
We are also looking at putting the home on a sloped lot and wondered what you thought of having to cut a good bit of land in order to place the home.
How would it look and so forth and any other problems.

Thank you for your input Randy .
Sincerely
JB

Randy Eaton

RE: The Key is Quality

Post by Randy Eaton » Thu Dec 28, 2000 11:02 pm

Hello JB,

I am not too impressed with Skyline. I've been told the Fleetwood’s out of Idaho are built better but I am not 100% sure on that. Hear is my criteria for a well built manufactured home.

2x6 exterior walls
Double or triple pane vinyl windows
Energy saving installation packages (Super Good Cents)
2x8 floors… not necessary but recommended
Plywood sheathing if budget allows
Headers above exterior windows and doors
2x6 top and bottom plates on exterior walls
Electrical out-lets secured to wall studs not sheet-rock
Taped & textured through-out, ½” sheet rock or better
Quality plumbing fixtures with shut off valves at each fixture
Solid wood cabinets, oak, maple or pine
Transverse floor system

Have a great New Year

Randy Eaton