Where to buy!

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Charlotte

Where to buy!

Post by Charlotte » Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:06 am

I look to the future (approximately four years) to purchase a manufactured home.

My question is this. I live in the Denver area and when I do make my
purchase the home will be set in southwestern Colorado. Which is the best area in which to make my purchase. Here where I live or in Southwestern Colorado, whichi is approximately 400 miles from here.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Charlotte

Randy Eaton

RE: Always try to buy close

Post by Randy Eaton » Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:37 am

Hello Charlotte,

Good question, I would recommend you purchase locally. If you have service issues or warranty problems the retailer you bought your home from will send a service technician to your home. If you buy 400 miles away this could become a problem. I would always try to buy locally if possible.

Randy Eaton

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Tue Dec 05, 2000 6:46 am

On the same subject, of where to buy. My next question is about financing. Again with the 400 miles in question, where is the best area in which to look for financing, where I am now or where I will be when I purchase the manufactured home?

I own my land so it will not be a land/home purchase combination. Also would it be better to use a bank or other lending institution etc.?

Charlotte

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Dec 05, 2000 10:29 pm

Charlotte, I would recommend you Karsten Homes of Albuquerque, New Mexico. This companys building quality manufactured homes and the constructions just like a stick built home. Karsten Homes market their homes into Colorado and Wyoming because it's built heavy duty and will handle the snow load. This company will assist you in financing from their plant in Albuquerque, New Mexico. You can even order from the plant also and their service is excellent. They have their own service crew to service you home right away or if it's an emergency they will hire a local contractor right away for you to correct the problem. I hear great stories about Karsten Homes. They just don't leave you after the sale they check up on you after the sale, this is why they are very popular homes in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. I also recommend you a great dealer that sells Karsten Homes in Durango, Colorado. The name is Rocky Mountain Homes and is owned by a great gentlemen by the name of Greg Matis he offers great service on the homes he sells and is very highly recommended by the area. His company even sells manufactured homes into Arizona because of his good outstanding reputation. You can hardly find a company like his.

Randy Eaton

RE: Land Only Package

Post by Randy Eaton » Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:05 am

Hello Charlotte,

I dealt with a lender in the same town I bought my manufactured home in, but you can go on-line to shop and compare. Land only package will have higher interest rates or you can use the equity in your property as collateral, which will give you the best interest rate. If your doing a home only package a lender will not finance any site improvements so, all improvements will be out of pocket. Make sure you have enough to complete the job, good luck!!!!!!

Randy Eaton

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:23 am

Thanks Terry for the information about Karsten homes. Carvo homes are a good choice not the best constructed but not the worst either. If you’re considering them I would up-grade the insulation package. I would go with 2x8 floors and 2x6 exterior walls and solid wood cabinets like oak or maple. Always have your home taped and textured through out and up-grade the roof to a 30lb snow load if your budget allows. As always shop at least 4 or 5 different manufacturers before you make your decision. Have a great week.

Randy Eaton