Mobile or Modular? Which is it?

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Pinhead

Mobile or Modular? Which is it?

Post by Pinhead » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:09 pm

Hello all, first post here.

I'm very new to manufactured homes, though I have some construction background in the stick-built home industry. I'm interested in purchasing a home that I'm trying to scare up some info on. The owners call it a modular but I'm not 100% sure if it's considered a Modular or Double-Wide. It's 26.5x68 so I assume that would be considered a standard size of 28x70.

We would be moving the home approximately 20 miles down the road.

I'm hesitating mostly because I've heard horror stories about "old" double-wide construction being flaky. This particular home was made in 1991 and has 2x8 floors and 2x4 walls.

We toured the home and it's in what seems to be good shape. Has newish vinyl siding and a 5-year-old roof.

What should I be looking for in such a home? Are there common pitfalls I should be looking out for?

Many thanks.

lobuc

Re: Mobile or Modular? Which is it?

Post by lobuc » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:48 pm

People use terms loosely in this industry unfortunately. That appears to be a manufactured or hud spec home not modular.

flowery

Re: Mobile or Modular? Which is it?

Post by flowery » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:22 am

You didn't write the price so it would be harder to say whether or not should you buy it. . If you're new to manufactured home then I suggest you look around more on other https://www.realtysouth.com/mobile-homes-for-sale websites. If you want to move only about 20 to 30 miles from your current house then the search would be a bit more difficult. However, I'm sure that there're better options out there for you. Btw the horror stories about "old" double-wide construction being flaky are true.
Last edited by flowery on Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.