mh utility cost 2x4 vs. 2x6 construction

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
dannyell

mh utility cost 2x4 vs. 2x6 construction

Post by dannyell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:25 pm

I am wondering if there is a significant difference in cost between the two construction methods. I currently live in a 72 pre-hud singlewide made from 1x3s have gas appliances furnace etc. My utilities run 250 a month. I live in Minnesota also. So I am looking into purchasing a double wide about double the size. Will this cost me more to heat or can I asume it will be close to what I pay now with my under insulated home. With the mortgage I would like to have it payed off in 7 years verses 20 but if my utilities double that would be impossible with the rise in insurance taxes etc. I am just looking to set a reasonable budget. Nobody seems to mention what they pay for utilities. In my research i came across an article study idk that said the uprgrade from 2x4 to 2x6 would take 78 years to break even! And a saving of $30 month. Is it even worth it? I have done some research and read most all of the posts on this forum so far with no answer so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.