Advise on First MH

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
C-Bears

Advise on First MH

Post by C-Bears » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:59 am

New to this forum and new to MH's. We purchased our lot in the Punta Gorda, Florida, area (in a 55+ park) and began looking at different MH floor plans. Found one we liked at a local Prestige dealer that is about 1300 square feet. Now we have a ton of questions before we get down to options and placing the order.
1) I have done some searches on Prestige and can't find any negative issues from the past several years. Any information in regards to experiences with them in the Punta Gorda or Ft. Myers area would be helpful.
2) I am considering having a contractor pour a slab for the entire home to sit on instead of just the gravel platform/vapor barrier which comes with the standard install. Is this worth the money, or instead of an entire slab should I be just pouring partial concrete sections (ribbons) where the pillars will be placed?
3) We have already found out that our credit union in our home state will not finance a MH in Florida and at least one bank in Punta Gorda also said they don't loan on MH's anymore. With excellent credit can be expect to have to finance at 6.5% interest or higher?
4) Once Prestige prices out the unit with all the options, is it possible to negotiate with them for a little lower price, or do most builders just give you the price and that is it?

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Joe & Cindy (Illinois/Florida - Full Time RVers)