need help buying home

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
azcarl

Re: need help buying home

Post by azcarl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:40 pm

everyone replying to my request for being a wise first-time buyer has aimed their comments at the financial aspects. that was not my intention. I am not concerned about the financial stuff.

rather, I am concerned about home quality. how much am I sacrificing my satisfaction with a home by purchasing a 70's vintage home rather than a home less than 10 years old?

in my situation it is a case of an older home close to town, versus a much newer home 15 miles out, and both have comparable prices. will I regret buying the older model that is much more conveniently located, or are the homes built so well that with proper maintenance the older home can successfully compete with the newer one?

what have the forum members experiences been along these lines?

azcarl

Post by azcarl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:13 pm

dear rmurray,

not sure what I have to do but I am not at all interested in any financial aspects of the home buying process. I tried to make that clear. is this your way of saying that the quality aspects in the examples I stated are of no concern?

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Probably need to research the brand/model and condition of each to determine how much additional money would need to be spent for the unknowns after move in. I would probably go for the newer model since it may be more energy efficient and require less maintenance. Newer models may have vinyl windows(e-glass), more insulation and could be more structurally sound.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:51 am

A home that is 20-30 years old will need major repairs, roof, plumbing, leveling, updated windows this will all add up. For the same money why not buy the newer home. These homes have a book value, so the 70's home has taken a depreciation, do you think the price reflects that?
Good luck,
Marlene

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:57 am

We just had a new Skyline home built in the west coast of Fl a year ago and love the quality and design . Price was better then two other main manufacters of M.H.
However picking the right dealer can make the difference between an exciting experence and a night mare . We were less fortunate , but we are now satisfied that all the problems have been addressed . Paul

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:21 pm

Can I have more information on VA loans? I've never used mine. Ryane
Ryane

JDeborahCoss

Post by JDeborahCoss » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:51 pm

I have heard of owners who will sell their homes and carry the down as a junior lein against the home. You have to check into the legality of that for where ever you are. If you are hearing 20% down, I am thinking you are looking at pre-owned homes, or maybe there is some problem with getting prime lenders. Go to a dealer, ask to see their rock bottom prices, and ask if they have in house financing. If they don't - keep looking. The best dealers have been around for a while, have in house financing and will help you to own. Private sellers may be harder to buy from. Investors may be the most sophisticated, and most expensive.
Good luck,
Deborah Coss