Looking at purchasing a Clayton home

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Wyattrew

Looking at purchasing a Clayton home

Post by Wyattrew » Tue May 19, 2020 6:54 pm

So me and my fiance are considering purchasing a Clayton home after were married, we don't want to rent and I have a piece of land to build on. Our all in budget for just the house is 100k, taxes closing costs everything.

I know manufactured homes carry a lot of bad stigma and I've heard everything from theyre total garbage to just as good as a stick built, from people who actually own them what are your experiences? Is the plumbing/electrical/interior parts standard sizes or are the doors odd sizes and whatnot?
How well is every thing built? Is it all plastic?
I see all the time that manufactured homes have a lifespan of 20-30 years and I don't see how their lifespan would be any different then a stick built. Any house will fall apart if it isn't maintained.

Were looking at the reserve 60 or the traditional 72, if we go this route I want at a bare minimum 2x6 walls and 2x8 floor truss's (not sure if that's the right name, I'm a mechanic not a home builder) If our budget allows I want the home built to modular specs, it will be going on a cinderblock foundation with partial basement so if its in the budget it will be built as a full modular, any ideas how much these upgrades cost? The reserve 60 starts at 70k and the traditional 72 at 80k according the Claytons website. I know I need to go talk to a dealer and actually spec out a home but where at least a year away from this happening.

We dont mind to skimp on lower quality interior right now if we get a better constructed house that will last years to come. Another question I have is ive seen many posts saying you can't build onto and renovate manufactured houses like a stick built and I'm curious as to why, around my area you see quite a few double wides with additions built on so what makes it different from renovating a normal house?

Since the home will be permenatly fixed to a foundation with partial basement is it likely to depreciate? I wouldnt expect it to appreciate like a stick built but are they really as bad of a investment as they are made out to be? Or does that just stand true for single wides in parks? I cant imagine it can be that bad, probably 30% of all houses around here are manufactured.

Lastly, am I totally off base and making a huge mistake? I dont think there are any other options for us to own a house for around 100k, I've not seen any true modulars that cheap. Me and my fiance neither want to be in debt for the rest of our lives, we want a nice modest house. I want to avoid renting at all costs, to me its just throwing money away. Any Input is appreciated

toriat

Re: Looking at purchasing a Clayton home

Post by toriat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:38 am

I am waiting for a Clayton home to be delivered in Wisconsin. I can't really fully comment on it until I get it but a few things from my research. No they are not plastic and not cheaply constructed. See below. You can't really change what they offer much, that is how they keep prices reasonable. The home is made from the same things as regular homes are made from.
The brands they use inside are nationally know. Congoleum flooring, Shaw carpeting, wood cabinets (may be an upgrade), sinks, faucets, etc. If you are putting on a permanent foundation (you are), it should be better, and your home may appreciate, depending of how you keep it up and where its located. Beside that, if the factory that makes it has experienced workers and the company you buy it from has experienced installers, you should be ok. I will report more on this when I get my home.

*******************************************************************************************************
• Steel I-Beam Frame with Detachable Hitch
• 2"x 6" Floor Joists – 16" O.C. on 28 Wides
• 2"x 8" Floor Joists - 16" O.C. on 30 Wides
• 23/32 T&G OSB Floor
Decking Glued & Fastened
• 2"x 6" Exterior Walls - 16" O.C.
• 30 lb. Roof Load
• 7/16" OSB Roof Sheathing
• Ridge Vent Roof Venting
• Linked Smoke Detectors with Battery
Back-up in Main Living & All Bedrooms
• 7/16" OSB Exterior Sheathing
with Windwrap

hendryjhon

Re: Looking at purchasing a Clayton home

Post by hendryjhon » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:35 am

Sorry for reviving this thread. Hope this would be helpful for others.
I've owned a Clayton home for several years now, and contrary to common misconceptions, it's been a reliable and comfortable dwelling. The plumbing, electrical, and interior parts have standard sizes, and the construction quality is great. While some components may include plastic, it's not the predominant material, and overall durability has been satisfactory.
Proper maintenance can extend the life of a manufactured home, just like any other, you know. Renovations are possible. I recently did a bathroom renovation with Home Remodeling Lafayette, a reliable contractor from my area, and everything turned out great. And I plan on doing the rest of the house.
So, you're not making a mistake. With proper planning and attention to detail, owning a Clayton home within your budget can provide you with a comfortable and durable living space.