Trusses

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

David Benton

Trusses

Post by David Benton » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 am

I just bought a used prefabricated home built in 1975 by Poloran Homes. The trusses are 2 2x4s aprox 8-10 feet long tied together by nail plates with a 4-6 inch gap between the 2 2x4s that are tied together. Some of them are offset by about 2 inches. Serial number is 2710A and 2710B. My question is: Is normal or has there been shifting? The home was new when placed on this foundation and has not been moved since installation.

David Oxhandler

Re: Trusses

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Did you mean: Poloron Homes? I think they were sold in the northeast as late as the mid 80's but have not heard much about them since. I dont think they are still in business.

There was no federal standard for mobile home builders when your home was constructed. Some built to the standards of the time for heavy steel trucks. You see lots of these still in service in RV parks today. Others were built with little regard for quality. The Federal HUD code changed all that in 1978.

If the home has not been moved what you see is likely original. Look at the wall construction to determine if they can take any additional loads before you make any improvements. See if you can find a MH mechanic that has been around a while. Some of the older handymen in your area either probably worked on the assembly line or set up or serviced the homes built locally and will be he best source of information.

David Oxhandler
[email protected]

David Benton

Re: Trusses

Post by David Benton » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 am

Thank you for your reply. The home is solid and the roof does not sag so I will rest assured that this is the normal. Last year it withstood strong winds that took out two tree tops that are located near the house.