main water shutoff

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

eidahogal

main water shutoff

Post by eidahogal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I recently bought a 1986 skyline 28 X 53 deerfield model. The park wants me to put a total unit shutoff inside the mobile home. Where would I typically find the shutoff underneath the unit. By back door? Any ideas how to go about this. Thanks

rmurray

Re: main water shutoff

Post by rmurray » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Most often the exterior shut off is at the area the line enters the house usually directly under the water heater. check under the home near where the water heater is at and you should see it. About adding an interior shut off others will have to comment. I am wondering why the park would care if the shutoff is inside or out..

eidahogal

Post by eidahogal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 am

Winter weather - snow etc. Also because they don't want the residents to turn the water to the unit off at the main shut off outside themselves. They want to the residents to call the managers. It is a senior park and that adds to it. Thanks for the info.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 am

Building codes in most places call for a shutoff in the exterior. It makes it easy for your neighbor to shut off your water if he sees your furniture floating past your window.... Manufactured homes were designed to be moved from place to place. It makes better sense to have the shut off in a location where it can be closed if the home is to be relocated.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]