Hot Roof

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

rfporzio

Hot Roof

Post by rfporzio » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:09 am

I have a Insulation company coming next week to look at adding insulation to my exisiting 3/12 roof cavity in my double wide. He talked about creating a Hot (unventilated) roof by completly stuffing the cavity by going up throught the soffit vents with blown in insulation. I'm getting mixed views on this and I am concerned. What are your thoughts. I would like to add as I have 30r (+-) and did lose some in transit. I live in a cold nothern climate. Thanks in advance for your help.

David Oxhandler

Re: Hot Roof

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:12 am

Your home was designed to "breath" through the vented roof. Eliminating that ventilation is not a great idea.

In cold climates roof ventilation maintains the roof temperature to avoid ice dams, that are created by melting snow running to the roof's edge and freezing into ice. Additionally, warm air rises and can carry moisture. The vented roof permits moisture that rises from the heated living space to the the ceiling and above. Eliminating venting increases opportunities for mold growth.

For more details see A Crash Course in Roof Venting

I would find an insulation contractor that has a better grip on his trade than his wallet.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rfporzio

Re: Hot Roof

Post by rfporzio » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks David, that was exactly my view. Unless he can add insulation and keep my ventilation (soffit/ridge vent) system working it won't be happening on my watch.