Bought First home and need help and advice!!

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Disapointed5

Bought First home and need help and advice!!

Post by Disapointed5 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:21 am

My husband and I bought our first home located in a mobile home park in Michigan on May 30,2013 and at that time our new home was surposed to be Cleaned, New Roof put on (shingles), all appliances were surposed to be checked and in working order,carpet was to be new and installed. was also told there was no mold sinse I have lung issues and personally requested that and was told she made sure everything was completed and ready to go.
Here is our issue we got our keys on May 31,2013 on this day we went to the house and opend our door and we were excited to finally have something. so we did our random quick look around and Someone left poop in the toilet, there was Black mold in the bathroom, what is a new roof I have now water dripping down my walls and we are upset, nothing was cleaned. the appliances was gross and broken. 40 yrs of nicotine on everything. I contacted the office in which I bought the home through and what was told to us was not done and I reported the roof 11 days ago and stil no reponse. wiring is bad. water in driping between the walls posing a fire haszard and the plug outlets are bowing like almost as if it was melting on 2 or more plugs. I reported all of this wrote down who I spoke to what time and when and they are advoiding me and not returning my calls. this is serious this house was sold under false pretenses and we are broke right now. I guess my questions are, What can we do sinse the office said they will take care of this issue and have not responded in a timly matter? beleave me we have been more than understanding. Who can I contact in regaurds to this issue? our walls are bowing and this has been on desaister after another.? we just made our first mortgage pymt and lot payment. JUst don't know what to do!!

David Oxhandler

Re: Bought First home and need help and advice!!

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:15 am

When you purchase a home you should do a walk-thru prior to closing to insure that the home is in the condition expected and contracted for, prior to putting your money on the table. That said, you can't go back in time, so what can you do now? The recourse available to you depends on the paper work you signed.

Were the improvements and repairs that were promised included in your contract?

It appears that you are in Michigan. Your state has a large body of law regulating MH sales and park rules. See The State of Michigan's Manufactured Home Buyer’s & Resident’s Handbook. The Bureau of Construction Codes and Fire Safety regulates the purchase and inhabitation of mobile homes. A Statement of Complaint and related forms may be obtained by telephone at (517) 241-9202.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Disapointed5

Post by Disapointed5 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for responding, We did do a final walk through on the day we signed the papers and everything was good, the washer was replaced, and gift card was given to us for the cleaning, the roof we didn't know nor about the mold. when discovered I reported it and that was with in 10 days of us living there and they fixed it. As far as the roof is concerned there was no evidence prior to us moving in or shortly after that it was or was going to leak. 2 weeks ago we have been getting hammered by rain and due to the fact that it was recently torn off and replaced there shouldn't be any leaking. well im not sure if we should just call the insurance company or continue with waiting for the management to take care of this issue cause I have been on them and all I am getting is no shows and the run a round and winter is right around the corner. just a worried first time buyer. thanks

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:44 am

I am surprised the selling dealer fixed anything. Unless otherwise contracted in the sales documents, all preowned homes are sold as is buyer beware. This is true of any kind of home no matter how it is built (mobile, brick, block, stick built).

The home is yours now and you should take care of problems with no expectation of help from the park management.
Insurance company might help but coverage is most likely not going to cover long term wear and tear or what is considered a maintenance item. It probably would be best to call a roof contractor and discuss costs and payment terms.