Leaking skylights

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Kathleen Torres

Leaking skylights

Post by Kathleen Torres » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi there, my husband bought a mobile home on land in 2011. It was built in 2000. The home has two skylights located in the master bath and kitchen. Both skylights have started leaking like crazy thing year, the bathroom light actually bulged out and collapsed the ceiling below and the kitchen is a steady drip when it rains. We had a professional roofer come out to inspect the damage and he informed us that the skylight were installed incorrectly by the manufacturer, which caused all the leaking.

I have a serial number and a model for the home but I cannot for the life of me find a manufacturer name. I am considering legal action against the manufacturer for the costs of the repairs. Has anyone had any experience with this? And is there someplace I can find the manufacturing company of my home?

rmurray

Re: Leaking skylights

Post by rmurray » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:21 pm

The warranty would have been over long ago..You should be able to find the manufactures name and location on the data label that was posted inside the home ( uaually on the back of a cabinet door or in a closet area somewhere. Of course the title office should have the name on the title and or tax records..The state department in your state directly responsible for the industry is;

State of Washington Community Development
906 Columbia Street S.W.
Olympia,WA 98504
(360) 586 - 0491
(360) 586 - 5880

Insurance records should also have the name....

David Oxhandler

Re: Leaking skylights

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 am

Mr Murray is correct. Your home is 13 years old and the warranty ended some time ago. Chasing the builder will probably only add to your frustration. You would do better to deal with the holes in your roof and stop the damage.

Call your insurance company to see if the damage is covered. Even if it is not find a local roofer to eliminate - roof over - the skylights and repair the associated damage. The longer you wait the more expensive the repairs will become.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]