What were they thinking?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

luvnh

What were they thinking?

Post by luvnh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 am

I purchased a 72 ft Skyline Cameron mobile on it's own land last September. It's a nice house but there is a HUGE picture frame window between the 2nd bedroom and the livingroom. It's probably 4 1/2 to 5 feet wide. Why would anyone design it this way so there is no privacy between that bedroom and the livingroom. Plus they put a door on it. What's the point of the door if there is a 5 ft opening in the wall? I would love to know what the thought process was in this design?

rmurray

Re: What were they thinking?

Post by rmurray » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 am

What were/are YOU thinking?
You must have looked at the home prior to purchase, if you did not like why did you buy it. I doubt this was part of the original design but probably done by one of the many previous owners of this 41 year old home.

What would make you think that any of the original designers from 1971 would be here to help you? My guess is that most of them have moved on to a better place.

Enjoy your home..Glad you posted making others aware that the economic life of manufactured home can be well over 40 years...

luvnh

Post by luvnh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

Actually according to the deed it was build in 1986. We had to have an entire new bathroom installed, plus all new flooring as it was only plywood. So, I wouldn't quite say that it lasted 40 years...lol

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:46 pm

When you purchase any structure that has been around for over 40 years you should expect to make some renovations and improvements. Plywood floors are the standard of the framed building industry, site or factory built... what else did you expect to find???

If the plywood floor decking needed replacement it could only be because the former owner did not take very good care of it. What did you replace the plywood with ?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:39 pm

I am sorry, I read your post as if the home was a 72 model, now I realize you meant 72 feet long. But an 86 model IS 27 years old..It really does not change anything I said..You still looked at it and bought even though you knew it needed new bath floors and had a strange floor plan you did not like. You are lucky plywood was VERY rare in 1986 only the most deluxe homes had it. Almost all homes had pressboard floors. As David pointed out plywood is VERY common in all homes today.

Obviously there is still economic value in this nearly 30 year old home, you paid money for it to prove my point.

I HOPE I am wrong about most of my home designer friends from the 80's. I hope they are mostly still out there sharing the world with us.

Smile and enjoy your home..

fairy khan

Post by fairy khan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:40 pm

i am considering getting a factory manufactured home. i have an existing home that i want to demolish. can anyone tell me if demo is extra and is using the exsiitng foundation in the price of the home. also if my hous eis 2000 SF and i want to go up to 4000 sf would i need a new foundation. please tell me what i need to atch out for. i would be greatful.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:21 am

Demolition is expensive it is unlikely to be included in the cost of a replacement home. Doubling the size of a home would not permit you to use the same foundation.

Start by visiting some of your local dealers for a suitable replacement home. Discuss the possibilities and costs. With a good credit rating you might be able to finance the project with an appropriate down payment.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

SouthFlorida

Post by SouthFlorida » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm

luvnh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I purchased a 72 ft Skyline Cameron mobile on it's
> own land last September. It's a nice house but
> there is a HUGE picture frame window between the
> 2nd bedroom and the livingroom. It's probably 4
> 1/2 to 5 feet wide. Why would anyone design it
> this way so there is no privacy between that
> bedroom and the livingroom. Plus they put a door
> on it. What's the point of the door if there is a
> 5 ft opening in the wall? I would love to know
> what the thought process was in this design?

I would guess the thought process was to make it appear more open by having it there. So many bedrooms in mobile homes are small and claustrophobic, I guess it was their attempt to correct that.