Free or abandon moblie homes

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

todd

Free or abandon moblie homes

Post by todd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:57 am

I have bought land that was once a mobile home part.It is cleared now but has all the electric poles and lines and all the sewerlines.Its all green grass now with a road in the middle.Trailers ready to be put in.I ran out of money but heard people live in them for a while untill the build a house or just out grow them.I need mobile homes for very very cheap or to donate.They have to be somewhat livable or can be repaired.I now this sounds silly.But im trying my best to make a go off this.also if i just rent the lots.is liability ins high.Would it be even worth it. i live in monticello ga.near civington off I-20.so of cours trailers would have to be near by so i could get them..any ideas anyone.this is all new to me.Thank you.Todd 678-910-0855

David Oxhandler

Re: Free or abandon moblie homes

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Todd -

Operating a mobile home park is never simple or inexpensive. It is a highly regulated business. Making a small park succeed takes a lot of time, funds and in most places, today. experience.

You did not mention where you were located. Every state has specific regulations and most have licensing required to operate a park. Contact your local health and building departments to find out who regulates parks in your state or county. Start by finding out if the property is up to legal standards as well as the cost of permitting and impact fees.

Then contact some of the local, licensed MH installers. They are the ones that most times have the opportunities to remove homes no one wants. I'm afraid that you will find the cost of transport, installation and renovation to modern code will probably be prohibitive.

If you want to fire up an income from mobile homes with a small investment read Deals On Wheels. Written from the actual experiences of Lonnie Scruggs, the "Father" and "Master" of the used manufactured home business. Lonnie shares his many years of experience and shows you how to make fantastic profits with pre-owned mobile homes. This book is also available now for instant download
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 pm

GA counties have extensive zoning regulations concerning MH parks, the facts that there was one on the property in the past does not mean it can be there now. Also your counties health department will have to approve the sanitation system as well. Most likely septic tanks are no longer acceptable.

If zoning and health department hurdles can be overcome, David is right about the high cost of this project..If legally possible, you are close enough to the eastern Atlanta suburbs to make the project financially feasible but it will take large sums of money. You might want to consider a financial partner who has experience in the industry. Even the free beat up single section will cost over $ 5,000 to move and reset legally. Rough spaces will take thousands to bring up to code themselves before any homes will be allowed. If your zoning will allow a park and sanitation will pass the code you are close to Horton Homes in Eatonton. Mr. Horton has a large retail sales division with many sales centers in your area. If a park is possible you might consider talking to them. They are very experienced in your area and have plenty of money to partner with you.

todd

Post by todd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Mr Murry.Thank you for responce.Im starting to find out how right you are.Let me explain.It is ready to go.The plot is almost three acres with all sewer and electric poles up to date and code.The land has eight spots all ready level and ready for the trailer to be taped in.The man who sold it to me didnt own the land.It was a ran down park he bought for cheap and cleared it.He is the only bank here executive board member along with on the city council.Im ready.Im zoned and cleared to start.Land is perfect with green grass and a gravil road right down the center.My mother is ill.I left my job,my home my girl my life to move back home to monticello ga.to take care of her.This man is in our church and knows i need income to stay home.He said I could start slow and just rent the spots out for 150 dollars a month.Thats 1200.Its a start.I got prices on libility ins.After buying land.I have little money left.I do have friends with flat bed trucks and 18 wheelers that will help move trailer but im confused about Horton Homes.You said they might partner.How would that happin?I dont want to sound dumb when i call them but I like the sound of the partner thing you brought up.I can afford maybe one trailer myself if cheap.Also man I bought land from owns 2 more acreas beside it to exspand if neede in the future.He is well know here and very like and gets things done and really has help me.I dont mind renting spots but need more than that.No Job.Credit not good from divorce.So Im limited.My question.How does this all sound to u.And if it sounds to you like i have a fighting chance.How would I approach Horton.Of course I know you cant prodict my sucess and would never blame anyone.So..What is your opion.And what dept to ask for at hortan homes.Then what do I say?THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME>Thank you so much for being kind enough to help another person.People just dont seem to care anymore.Thanks again.Todd Mears

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:37 pm

If I were you I wouldn't walk away from this deal, I would run as fast as I can. If a deal sounds to good tone true it probably is. You said you don't have a lot of money after the deal and want a "trailer on the cheap." If that's the case you don't have enough money to start this business.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Todd,
Glad to hear zoning is going to work. That and health department are usually the largest hurdles.Your friends with flat beds and 18 wheelers cannot move and set homes. Any homes WILL require a permit which MUST be gotten by a licensed set up crew. electrical WILL have to be done by licensed electricians and A/C units moved by licensed A/C installers and most likely you will need licensed plumber to re-hook the sewage system. unfortunately government has decided homeowner safety and the environment are more important than our pocketbooks. You should expect that set costs will run nearly $ 5,000 per unit.

First your rent amount sounds a little low for the area. Do a little research and check out prices in your area for basic parks.

As far as partners are concerned, I figured folks who do this for a living would be happy to find a property that has already gotten through the toughest hurdles, zoning and health. I mentioned Horton because his companies are known for partnering with parks and developers in their market areas and they have enough money to do so if the so decide. If I wanted to make inquires of them to see if there is interest, I would take pictures, zoning releases and health department approval to the manager of their store off of I-20 in Conyers.

Their web address is: http://www.hortonhomesofconyers.com/index/home

Address and phone are:

You can see us from interstate 20.
We are located at the following address.

2469 Iris Drive
Conyers, GA 30013

(770) 922-9095
fax (770) 922-9852

Good Luck