1969 GLE(?) in New Mexico

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

phronesis

1969 GLE(?) in New Mexico

Post by phronesis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone know what manufacturer/make is "GLE"?

I'm in the process of purchasing a property that has on it a 1969 doublewide mobile home--I'm trying to identify the manufacturer. I have a copy of the New Mexico MVD title and a serial number. The title lists the 'make' as "GLE" and the 'model/series' as "GLC." The home is 24' X 48', 3 bedroom, two bath. The New Mexico MVD says it doesn't know what manufacturer/make is "GLE" or what model is "GLC."

Serial number is FS1627LR.

The home was purchased in Albuquerque, NM, in the fall of 1968. I surmise the manufacturer is a western manufacturer.

Thanks for your help or advice!

David Oxhandler

Re: 1969 GLE in New Mexico

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:41 am

One of the other regulars here may be more familiar with western brands and give you an answer. Otherwise try contacting the office in your state that issues titles. They set the name abbreviation standards maintained in your state.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 am

WOW you have much more info than most have on 45 year old homes..This home is pre HUD and no permanent records will exist anymore. You would not be wrong just calling it a GLC model of GLE. Be sure you hold on to title just in case you want to sell it. The state most likely no longer has a copy.

Glad you posted. Your post should settle the question of how long MH lasts with new buyers. Come back often..

phronesis

Post by phronesis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks so much for posting replies!

I'm a car geek, now becoming a manufactured home geek too. I'm very interested in learning as much as I can about the manufacturer, materials, models, and options as I can, especially because the home--at 45 years old--is still in decent shape.

The roof is original and sound, even though it bears a lot of winter snow in northern New Mexico. Windows are original (the bay windows are a bit gappy, but still okay). Exterior aluminum siding and skirting is astoundingly good looking.

So whatever manufacturer was "GLE," they did a good job.

I haven't been able to find any kind of data plate or manufacturer tag (other than the serial number which is stamped on the tow bar). I guess that's because it's pre-HUD.

If anyone knows "GLE," I'd sure appreciate info.