gray pipe.

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Peggy

gray pipe.

Post by Peggy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Would like to know if there is still a lawsuit for gray pipe? I have just heard of this and wish I had known. I have had two leaks and now my mortage company is going to drop me.

rmurray

Re: gray pipe.

Post by rmurray » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 pm

The deadline to claim under the class action suit on the grey pipe was long ago. I doubt your 10 wide was covered. It mostly covered homes built in the 80's, long after 10 wides were gone..

David Oxhandler

Re: gray pipe.

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:38 pm

That lawsuit came and went many years ago....

The first most popular plastic waterline was polybutylene, a flexible gray or black-colored plastic waterline. In the late eighty's and mid nineteen-ninety's, many of the plastic fittings that were used to connect polybutylene tubing were substandard; they would become brittle, crack and break.

The vast majority of problems I have seen came from metal crimp rings used to hold sections of pipe together. The pipe and the metal rings expand and contract at different rates from heat and cold. After time the rings "bite" into the pipe and cause small leaks that tend to get bigger and bigger. A class-action suit resulted and today polybutylene is no longer manufactured.

No matter what type of waterlines (galvanized, copper, black, polybutylene, cpvc, pex) your mobile home currently has, you can easily repair leaks or do other plumbing projects by using materials available at your home improvement center or hardware store

There are much better ways to splice polybutylene today that are reletivly easy and inexpensive. See Understanding and Installing Manufactured Housing Waterlines in the free article section of this web site.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]