Re: The Top 10 Mobile Home/ Manufactured Home Builders

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

murphyc

Post by murphyc » Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Hello I am looking to buy a mobile home and it happens to be a palm harbor but i dont know much about mobile homes I have been doing some research but can't find much on what manufactures are the best to buy from. Does anyone know what the best manufacture is for mobile homes? Also I dont have a very big budget I can only afford 20-25,000 for a mobile home and I an considering an older mobile home its a 92 palm harbor does anyone whos owned a mobile home tell me how they stand up to the newer models ?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 am

John Grissim continues to update his amazing books. Our book store is running a special offering both bookk:

The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes and Land

PLUS

The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes,

at a discount. That’s over 300 pages of essential information, product evaluations and no-nonsense insights. Orders usually ship within 1 business day.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Fri May 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Palm Harbor is a very good home, but remember you are looking at a 20 year old home and you don't know how well it was maintained. If you decide to buy the home, make sure you get it inspected by an engineer who specializes in manufactured homes BEFORE you buy it. The few hundred dollars you pay for an inspection can save you a lot of grief and heartache. The engineer will do a thourough inspection of the home and let you know if there are any serious as well as minor problems with the home.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri May 18, 2012 3:49 pm

I live in a double wide that was built in the 80's. You will find that most built in the 80s and 90s are framed 2x4 16inches on centre.... basically a standard framed structure built on a steel transport frame. These homes like any other framed structures remain as good as the maintenance that has been done.

Just as critical as the original construction standard will be the way the home was installed at its first location, removed, transported and installed again on your property. The best built home set on a poor foundation will have troubles regardless of the brand

Be sure to use a licensed and experienced contractor to handle the installation and site prep. See if you can get a re-levelling included after one year. Settlement never stops on any building BUT on most soil types a double wide will finished 98% of the settlement by the end of the first year in place. The VAST majority of service problems on all manufactured homes, new or used, come from the home being out of square and level.

I'm most states you can hire a licensed home inspector for a lesser fee than an engineer, and get the same detailed info about the pre-owned home your considering.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

tlhaney

Post by tlhaney » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I am looking for for slightly damaged mobile home in ca or az to place on my property. I really can't afford it but I can't get a loan because the mobile home i live in is too old made in the 1950's I believe Can you direct me. also What is the difference in modular vs mobile home