First New Home.

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

hjsmith00843

First New Home.

Post by hjsmith00843 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:27 pm

We have just been approved for a new home loan for a double wide. It is a 28/76 scotbilt. House is very nice. We are upgrading from a small single wide that we used to have as a rental home. We had some tennets destroy it and we started to remodel the home.

After a few thousand $'s we deicded it was not worth it and try to get a new home. Here is the floor plan. http://www.scotbilt.com.php5-13.dfw1-2. ... SAW-SD.pdf

Being this is the frist new home we have ever had what shouls I look for for warranty issues. I noticed a small spot on the vinyl rug that appears to have a bubble in it. Like the glue may be loose or something might be under it or maybe a uneven board. Is this something I should bring up to the dealer? Should I be nit picky and get every little thing repaired?

David Oxhandler

Re: First New Home.

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 am

Congratulations! It is always a great joy to be able to purchase a new home. You have accomplished a goal that is not easy in today's market.

Warranty-service work is needed at some point on virtually every new house. The imperfections of materials and people inevitably create the need. Manufacturers, work hard to prevent quality problems and avoid mistakes, but they also have a mandate to address them. That is the function of the warranty.

You have to decide the limits of your comfort zone. Your warranty covers all structural issues. Most builders will address cosmetic issues - like the floor cover issue - if you address them early.

I would build a full list of each and every defect, big and small. Then review your list and decide what items you must have corrected. Keep in mind you will have to deal with any unresolved problems for years to come.

What distinguishes good builders and dealers is the extent to which they assume responsibility for correcting warranty-service problems in their customers' homes. Don't be shy.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Make sure you doccument every defect no matter how big or small and submit it in writing to both to the dealer and the manufacturer. Double check your warantee and paperwork as you may have a very limited time to submit cosmetic defects, and usually up to a year for non cosmetic things. After you submit the list, if you find additional problems doccument and submit them in writing. Reputable dealers and manufacturers will get the problems resolved. Congratulations on your new home.

hjsmith00843

Post by hjsmith00843 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 pm

the home is set for delivery on Tuesday. I have noticed a few cosmetic thing wrong with the home. Like cracked trim, cracks around one of the windows. just one. a few places where the trim is not flat on the wall. Simple things. Should I write it down and bring it to the attention of the dealer before it is delivered.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:12 pm

As your home (rock &) rolls toward your home site more trim will shake loose. While the sections are lifted and placed on its foundation there may be other minor cosmetic damage. This is expected and repaired by the installer or dealers finish crew.

There is no harm in asking for a walk thru with the dealer prior to delivery and collaborating on a list. Keep a running list, invite the dealer to visit after the home is installed and complete your list together.

Give the dealer and builder an opportunity to correct all the initial problems with a single service call. It is easier, more economical and will start your relationship with the warranty manager on the right foot.

Cut through the red tape and find out who will be dispatching man power and materials to your home. Some dealers contract the service work out to local tradesmen. Others send factory technicians to the customer's new home. Ask your dealer who you should phone with any follow up calls that may be needed.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

hjsmith00843

Post by hjsmith00843 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks. The dealer is taking care of all electrics and plumbing. The just delivered 2 loads of dirt yesterday to fill in a little low spot on my property. The whole buying process was rather easy. My credit is not perfect so I had to jump some loops but from start to finish it took less than a week and a half. I was not expeting to get something approved and delivered so fast. Monday they will be moving my current home to a vacant lot so I can take everything from it and install into the new home on wendsday. they will be setting it up on tuesday.

They will even be brining a backhoe to remove a stump I cut down because this home is larger and would sit right on top of it. Was a long day prepping for it yesterday. Had to cut about 5 small trees, had to remove the top of my very large porch. Would not match up to the new home. Today I will be dropping the down payment off in the form of a cashiers check. I have to move all of the debris from the proch roof. Long day again. After I get done with this I hvae to get the race car ready for action tonight. Long days again but the new home will be worth it.