land @ mobile

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

ArkSlim

land @ mobile

Post by ArkSlim » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Would appreciate recomendations about which is best, buying a piece of land and then getting a mobile or going for a land & mobile deal from a dealer? Any and all response welcome.

Celtlund

Re: land @ mobile

Post by Celtlund » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I think that is something that is up to you and your personal situation. My wife and I went through a realtor and purchased our land first because we were able to find a nice piece of property that already had septic, electric, and water in a location we liked for a very reasonable price. So we bought the land and about 9 months later purchased our MFG home. We used the equity we had built up in the land as part of our downpayment on a land-home packagee.

Our son on the other went through a dealer and and got a land-home package. One advantage of going through the dealership is time, as they know where the land is and can make all the arrangements for you. One disadvantage is you might have to pay a little more for the property than if you were purchasing it from a private party. Just make sure you are actually purchasing the property and not leasing or renting it. They should also be able to tell you about any Home Owners Association conivents that may apply to the property.

If you decide to use a realtor, make sure the property you are purchasing is zoned for a manufactured home. Also, you will have to make sure that you can get electricity to the property and determine if water is available or if you will have to drill a well. Dertermine if you can tie into a sewer system, or if you will need a septic. The realtor should also let you know if any Home Owner Association covernents apply to the property. If you go through a dealership for the property, they should know about the zoning, electric, water, and sewer/septic.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:29 pm

To learn How to find A reputable dealer and negotiate a fair price on the best kept secret in American Housing Download The Grissim Buyer's Guide to Manufactured Homes and Land

Written by a consumer for consumers, this no-nonsense, highly readable guide was designed specifically to help you save thousands of dollars. Grissim explains just how the manufactured home industry operates, exposes its secrets, and teaches you step by step how to find a dealer worthy of your trust, how to make the right home selection, how to accurately determine the fair price of a home, and, as important, how to be informed, empowered, and swindle-proof.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

ArkSlim

Post by ArkSlim » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Ordered the recomended book it should arrive late next week. Am looking foward to reading it although I have read that the information is somewhat dated.

John Grissim

Post by John Grissim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Dear ArkSlim,

I'm the author of The Grissim Buyer's Guide which you just ordered (thanks for your business!), and I wanted to comment briefly on your mention that you'd read that the "information is somewhat dated." Occasionally I get a question from potential book buyers asking if the book is up to date, and I'm happy to assure them that it is.

In fact, I have a notice that I insert in every copy of the book before it ships that specifically gives that assurance. Here's what the notice says:

Thank you for purchasing The Grissim Buyer’s Guide to Manufactured Homes. I hope it will pay for itself many times over.

Given that so much has happened economically in the years following the financial crisis of 2008 and the subsequent crash of American housing, you may well be asking if this second edition of the Guide (published in late 2008) is as relevant and up to date in 2012 as it was four years ago.

I’m pleased to say the unequivocal answer is Yes. I had completed the updates and revisions to the Guide just as the economy was slipping into recession (see chapter 1). More important, the manufactured housing industry had already emerged from its own meltdown during the previous decade and had corrected many of its shortcomings. The industry was, and still is, poised to offer home buyers exceptional value.

As you continue your research, please feel free to visit my web site where you will find my 2012 Home buyer’s Outlook and many helpful entries in the News & Notes section.

Wishing you every success in your research and home purchase.
Sincerely,
John Grissim

I also have an insert notice that goes into every copy of my companion book, The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes. I thought it might be helpful to you and the many readers of this form if I were to post it here as well:

A note about the latest updates to the Ratings Guide

Thank you for purchasing The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes. I hope it will pay for itself many times over.

To ensure that my readers have the very latest information available since the Guide’s last printing, I continually monitor the industry and, as necessary, revise and update the listings, posting this information on the Grissim Guides web site.

These updates are password protected and are available exclusively to the Guide’s purchasers.

To access this information, on the web site’s home page, click on the tile in the left hand column labeled “Ratings Guide Updates.”

You will be prompted to answer a simple question the answer to which is found in the Guide. Enter the answer and click Go.

The Updates is a .pdf file (requiring Adobe Acrobat Reader) and is formatted in two-columns, the same as the book, and may be printed out to keep with your copy of the Guide.

Wishing you every success in your research and home purchase.

Sincerely,
John Grissim

PS. As always, I encourage my book buyers to email me personally if they have any questions or suggestions.My goal is to make sure you have the very latest information. Thanks for your consideration.

With best wishes, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to to chime in here.
John

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:18 pm

The book is outstanding. I purchased both books and read them twice before buying. Happy home hunting.