Outrigger

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

mygrandchildren

Outrigger

Post by mygrandchildren » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am

I have a floor joist that is not sitting on an outrigger. I have a small squeak and bounce in that spot. In the past I would just tighten the bolt on that particular outrigger and the squeak and bounce is gone. In this case the 2x6 floor joist does not sit on the outrigger. Could I just support that area with cinder blocks, a piece of pressure treated wood and shim as necessary?

David Oxhandler

Re: Outrigger

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 pm

It is difficult to tell from here if that would work. Most of the time additional perimeter blocking tends to be stabilizing and couldn't hurt. Floor squeaks are often from uneven support or flooring that just needs to be screwed down. Check the shims on the nearby piers to see that they are supporting weight. Is the squeak near a door window or opening in an interior wall?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:04 am

If you live in area that experiences frost, you would need a footing below the frost line to avoid frost heave. There also bolts at the main I beams. One of those could be the culprit.

mygrandchildren

Post by mygrandchildren » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi David, it is about six feet in from the wall. There is a perimeter heat register at that location on the wall. I thought that all the floor joists would have an outrigger but that may not be the case. I figured since I solved my other floor squeaks (home is 12 yrs old and only had two squeaks) with just a few turns of the bolt the same would solve this one. Great idea to check the neighboring shims and then maybe some added support. Is there any fast rule governing the amount and spacing of the piers. My home is 28 X 44.