condensation in the middle of the ceiling and roof.

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

carolg0817

condensation in the middle of the ceiling and roof.

Post by carolg0817 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 pm

We bought an old mobile home a year ago and it has been one thing after another i tell you, but what can i expect for the price. our newest problem is in the smallest room i noticed a wet spot the other day, and i didn't think it could be a roof leak since we had a new one put on last summer. i was alittle confused so i had my husband open it and it looked fine until he poked a hole in the plastic and water came draining out. aghhhh what a nightmare. so we removed a section of the ceiling and it seemed dry at first until we got to the top where the aluminum meets the insulation it was sweating so bad it wasn't funny. what causes this and what can we do about it? for right now we have all the ceiling and insulation tooken out so it can dry out, and it isn't leaking now. we was doing good and hadn't had any problems since we fixed the roof. i am not sure if it is a breathing problem or what. please help with what we can do to fix this.

David Oxhandler

Re: condensation in the middle of the ceiling and roof.

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 am

Sounds like there is a leak in the roof. The leak is not always right over the spot where you see the water. Check the roof cap that bridges the center line.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Re: condensation in the middle of the ceiling and roof.

Post by trmimo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:06 am

If you live in a cold climate you are likely correct that it is condensation. Especially if your new roof included more insulation. More insulation requires more ventilation. In the winter everything above the insulation should feel cold and dry. This requires introducing fresh, outdoor air into the attic (small as it may be.) When the attic air is warm and damp (like indoor air) and comes in contact with something cold, like a roof or window the water in the air condenses on the cold surface. Once the water is liquid it will flow downward following the path of least resistance.
If you are in an area where the temperature hasn't been below freezing regularly then David is likely right that you probably have a leak.