looking to buy new single wide in OKLAHOMA

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

djh1971

looking to buy new single wide in OKLAHOMA

Post by djh1971 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:41 pm

I started looking at mobile homes to put on my 10 acres. I'm single and have 2 boys on weekends. I started to look at single wides used. I found a decent used one for 13,500 but it would be 2500 to 3000 to move set up so close to 17K and its 2bed, 1 bath. It was a 2001 and I can get brand new clayton metal side, metal roof for 25.5K set up, delivered and its 2bd, 2bath.

I started looking at some palm harbors in single wide. but seeing how much financial trouble they are in its got me worried even it they do have a 5 year warranty.

There was a 01 double wide about to get repo'd but it was cheap. I called an inspector. He came out and instantly showed me the problems that this cheap home would add up quick to a lot of money. We talked for an hour and half. He also came down and looked at my land. He suggested I looked at claytons too. He also said the solitares also hold their value well. He's said he's seen people sell them for more than what they paid for them.

My theory is I want a single wide as I might move it and make it a lake home later. I also want to stay away from getting my land tied up with it.

the palm harbor is 33k and the solitare is 39K. Also should I stay with a 3 bedroom for resale purposes? The is my first MH and I'd like to make it home.

Celtlund

Re: looking to buy new single wide in OKLAHOMA

Post by Celtlund » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 am

YOu were very wise to get an inspector before deciding to purchase. I also highly I recommend you buy both of Grissom's books. They are packed of valuable information.