Can a HUD Park Model have a Loft area?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

sinter4911

Can a HUD Park Model have a Loft area?

Post by sinter4911 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am

In Florida Park Model homes can be under 400 SQ.FT. ANSI or up to 499 SQ.FT. built to HUD Manufactured Home Standards. Can a HUD Park Model have a Loft like an ANSI type (under 400 SQ.FT.) Park Model has?

fredcdobbs

Re: Can a HUD Park Model have a Loft area?

Post by fredcdobbs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

My take is no, but maybe not impossible.You would most likely have to campaign HUD to issue an AC letter and all the BS that comes with it. The issues that would be in the way are the HUD standards for minimum ceiling heights and egress requirements.Being that HUD does not address lofts or steps, it would be tough to get a DAPIA to approve a floor plan. I am aware of a few lofts built to the IRC to get around the over 400 sq ft rule,but then these were in states that did not permit units over 400 sq ft to be titled and registered as Park Models like Florida allows.Once you get over 400,you are a Mfg Home or a Factory Built Building. I believe Chariot Eagle only offers lofts in there ANSI product. I am aware of a few guys that kicked that idea around and left it alone.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:40 am

New Era and Chief have both built lofts in HUD code homes. They are substantially taller and more expensive than the sort of thing you see in a park model.

sinter4911

Post by sinter4911 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:00 am

Thank you both for your response. I did talk to a Sales Manager at Chariot Eagle & He said no also.