Overwhelmed- will we ever get a home? help?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

bruiseviolet

Overwhelmed- will we ever get a home? help?

Post by bruiseviolet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:08 pm

First, this might be sort of long and a rant/vent, so my apologies in advance. A little background on our situation:

We both made poor choices about 5-6 years ago, and completely wrecked both of our credit. We have been working so hard to get our credit cleaned up, and then out of nowhere my husband was fired from his long-time job. So that completely put our credit repair on hold, as his unemployment was all going towards rent and bills etc... (We have 3 kids).

We tried a few months ago to get approved for a mortgage for a mobile home- and went to a few local places claiming to work with 'bad credit'. However bad credit to them meant you needed a FICO score over 620. (Duh, if we had a credit score over 620- we had the income- we wouldn't have been looking at mobile homes, but a traditional mortgage and home instead). So that was really disappointing, as we found a 4 bedroom home we completely fell in love with.

That place denied us, so about 2 months later, we found an almost identical duplicate of the home for sale for about 10,000 cheaper in a park we loved. (The other one was just at a dealer and they wanted to charge us $8,000 just to move it 20 miles.) Again, the community claimed they would work with bad credit, and they do- however one of the bads on my credit report is from an eviction 7 years ago that i am desperately trying to have removed from my credit report- and since it went through the park- they had a strict no policy if you had a landlord/tenant judgement- so we got denied. (in hind-site we should have just not put me on the application- my income is very little in comparison to my husbands.)

So we decided we would just take more time to fix our credit scores etc.. and then out of nowhere my husband lost his job. It completely blindsided us, and we were both upset. It's been a few months now, and he has found steady work again and we are back on our feet- however we haven't had the income to work on our credit report for 5 months now- so everything is still the same as it was previously. (Our credit scores are hovering around 530-590).

We found a mobile home park in our children's school district that we love. We even found a home in it we loved, except it was being sold by the owner. We could get approved through the park financing, but they only finance homes listed through them- so this house was not an option. We've looked into renting in the school district our kids are in, and we cannot find even a 3 bedroom for any less than $1300 a month- which is about my husbands entire monthly income.

We are currently living in two places, each living with relatives. It's very taxing on our relationship, and very hard on our kids- but at the moment, we aren't able to find anything else or any better options in order to remain in the school district.

The mobile home for sale by owner is still available for sale- and the owner keeps reducing the price. His listing now says, "motivated to sell, and will accept any serious offers". The home is a 1999 4 bedroom, and was oringinally listed for $34,000 when we went and looked at it and fell in love with it. It is not listed for $19,000. My heart breaks.

So my question- We were wanting to get pre-approved with the mobile home park financing and then going and speaking to the home owners- however the mobile home park lady keeps telling us she can't run a pre-approval on a house they don't have listed.

Our original plan was to make sure they'd pre-approve us for the amount- and then go talk to the home owners and see if they would list through the mobile home park- so we could purchase it that way. Will the owner think we are crazy? How do you approach someone with that? Basically unless someone knows a bad credit lender in Michigan who would loan to us, that is our only option. The park has NO homes available, and we are like 5th on a waiting list of others trying to get homes financed through their park when they become available.

We really need to get out of our current housing situation and I am feeling really desperate and really ashamed for making stupid choices when I was so young. I had no idea they would haunt me for so long- and continuing to build our credit in our current living situation isn't an option, we have to get out of here soon.

advice?

rmurray

Re: Overwhelmed- will we ever get a home? help?

Post by rmurray » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Sorry for your troubles. Most likely you will not be able to get an eviction judgement off your credit file till it is 10 years old..I woulds hope the park is smart enough to approach the seller of the home with your offer and ask for the listing...Ask the park to go to the seller and remember your last experience and submit your info in your hubby name only..