Are Commodore homes still an 8 rating?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

gossipluvr

Are Commodore homes still an 8 rating?

Post by gossipluvr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm getting ready to buy a Commodore hud home. I was thinking about a Fleetwood which is larger than the Commodore for less money, but Fleetwood only rated a 5. I've done a lot of research, I've bought the Grissim book and it rates Commodore as an 8 which is the best of the homes in my price range that I've seen. What I'm wondering, is with a LOT of the companies going out of business, being sold, etc is Commodore still a quality manufactured home builder? Also, the dealership that I will be buying from is for sale. The next closest Commodore dealer is about 200 miles away. If my dealer goes out of business, who will do warranty services etc for us? The home is a 2010 model and has been on the lot for about a year. Should I buy that one? or order a brand new one? The dealer said that it would be way more expensive to order one since fuel prices have gone up so much. Are they just trying to get rid of old stock? Thanks for any answers that you can give me!

rmurray

Re: Are Commodore homes still an 8 rating?

Post by rmurray » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Mr. Grissom does offer free updates for current book owners..You can enter a password found in your book here to see the latest ratings;

http://www.grissimguides.com/updates.php

Warranty on the home would be handled by Commodore. You might want to call them and discuss any issues that could arise..They do not cover the set up and installation, the dealer does.

I would guess the dealer is resisting your effort to order because they are trying to sell inventory. There are many strong financial reasons for him to do so..But Commodore might be abler to refer to an alternate dealer..

http://www.commodorehomes.com/

To the best of my knowledge, Fleetwood went bankrupt and announced they were leaving the housing business. Your dealer would NOT be responsible for factory warranty.

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I wouldn't buy ANY home from a dealer that is going out of business. Sounds like he just wants to sell the homes he has on the lot to minimize his losses when he shuts his doors. I highly recommend finding another dealer. I know the next nearest Commodore dealer is 200 miles away but there are other brands of similar quality around. As far as Fleetwood goes, I'd stay away from them for two reasons: lower quality and the fact that they went bankrupt. If you are in the South, I'd recommend checking out Southern Energy, or Southern Estates but try to stay away from SE of Texas as they are entry level homes IMHO. If you are in or near the Shreveport-Bossier City area, check out Greg Tilley's Homes in Bossier City on Texas Street.

fredcdobbs

Post by fredcdobbs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm

rmurray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> To the best of my knowledge, Fleetwood went
> bankrupt and announced they were leaving the
> housing business.

Not true, Fleetwood is still in operation and is honoring warranty claims.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the correction Fred

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:00 am

Commodore is indeed a superior home to Fleetwood. It is important though, to choose a retailer that is committed to you. Installation and much of the warranty work will depend on your retailer. You can't expect real great service from a retailer 200 miles away, either. All retailers will offer a better price on a year old model than an ordered home. I would question their judgement if they didn't. Ask any retailer for referrals from previous customers to see if they are happy.

gossipluvr

Post by gossipluvr » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! Sounds like I have some decisions to make! :)

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:03 pm

I just got a private email message from an executive at Commodore. His company frowns on his direct comments on forums like this but asked that you e-mail him directly and he will help you find a strong dealer in your area..Write him at;

[email protected]

GOOD LUCK