roof paint

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

dondi

roof paint

Post by dondi » Sat May 21, 2011 10:19 am

like to paint my roof white or silver to reflect the heat . anyone ever do that first time i did it so an help appreciated thanks

trmimo

Re: roof paint

Post by trmimo » Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 am

Roof coating for metal roofs is available in either white or silver. Typically folks are happier with white.

David Oxhandler

Re: roof paint

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun May 22, 2011 8:56 am

The roof of your home is probably a dark color. Changing that color to white or silver should improve houshold costs by reducing utility bills during warm-weather. Properly installed coatings enable the roof to last far longer, too.

Manufactured home metal roofs can last longer than shingle roofs with just a bit of inexpensive, regular maintenance. Painting your metal roof surface, the right way with the right roof coating will extend the life of that roof for many decades.

These paint on products protect against moisture and also reflect sunlight to keep your home's interior cooler. They are sold in 5 gallon buckets and generally cover up to 100 sq. ft. per gallon.

I own manufactured homes that are 30 years old that still have their original metal roofs. Our metal roofs have been treated on a three year cycle. The roofs, not only work as well as when new, they look great, freshly painted.

Before you start pressure clean the roof. The worlds best coating wont stick to a dirty surface

We apply three coatings.

1 - First paint just the stacks, seams and the outer edge, including both sides of the J edge.

2 - After that dries, paint the entire roof using a roller on a pole, rolling back and forth across the entire roof in the same direction (front door side to back door side).

3 - After that dries, paint the entire roof again, rolling perpendicular to the first coat. (Hitch end to back bumper end)

This gives you triple covering at the most likely leak points, the seams and edges and a double coating over the entire field.

BEWARE - METAL ROOF ARE VERY SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

Use rubber bottom shoes

Plan each step to start at the far end of the home from your ladder. Try to step only on the spots where there is a truss under the roof to avoid indentations in the roof surface.

Never step on any wet spots on the roof. The metal has zero friction when wet (water or paint). Even with rubber bottom shoes you will slide off that roof and hit the ground before you know what's happening.

Roof painting is not something you should plan for the first task of the day. You need to wait 'till the sun has had a chance to get the roof 100% dry. Even the smallest amount of moisture from morning dew will cause danger.

(I was very younger when I learned this lesson watching a grown man painting roofs impact the earth and get carted away in an ambulance. It made an impression I'll never forget.)

The color of the roof coating is not important. That is more of a personal choice. Be sure you purchase a high quality product. Avoid the lowest price coatings. Different products work best in different climates. I like Elastomeric Products like Kool Seal. You can a selection of roof coatings at The Mobile Home Parts Store

We paint our metal roofs during the hottest part of the summer, when the roof has natural expanded. This gives us the opportunity to get the sealer as deep into the seams as possible.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]