backing my skirting with wood

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

jesse13579

backing my skirting with wood

Post by jesse13579 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm trying to refinance my 2007 deer valley hampton and the lender asked if I had vinyl skirting or some other type. I told him I had vinyl and he said in order to meed loan standards I had to back it with something or replace it. He suggested I back it with plywood and either glue or screw the plywood to the back of the vinyl. Have any of you heard of this before?

David Oxhandler

Re: backing my skirting with wood

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Vinyl skirting has been the most popular option for the past 20 years. It is relatively inexpensive, easy and quick to install, and if left alone will last a good long time.

The down side of vinyl is that it is easily penetrated. Weed whackers are vinyl skirting's mortal enemy.

I have seen homes skirted with every possible thing imaginable. The attempts with wood in or on the ground typically look great at first but with in a very short time end in a termite infestation.

The guy that suggested gluing plywood to your vinyl probably has never seen a manufactured home. Ask the loan officer to e-mail you a copy of the lenders skirting requirements so can get an accurate idea of what the lender wants.

Other than insulation I cant think of anything that you could attach to the vinyl that would not weigh it down and ruin it over time.

To see the range of possible skirting types and accessories check the Mobile Home Parts Store They have a toll free number on the site that you can call. Ask their experts the best way to install insulation board behind the skirting. Insulation board is termite proof, rigid and will pay for itself on your heat/air bills.

If your looking for the best type of skirting available visit http://concreteskirting.com Concrete skirting resists the elements from the summer heat of Texas to the harsh winters of Minnesota and is designed to stay put for years of protective service.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Bitxtyy

Re: backing my skirting with wood

Post by Bitxtyy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:39 am

If you still need to replace your skirting with something, I would suggest metal lathe and real stucco. I just had mine done with cut brick and it looks so nice. Its soo much stronger than the vinyl too. The website for the company is Skirtmasters.com if you want to see some pictures of what it looks like. I really hope this helps.